55 Buick Vacuum Pump inlet/outlet pipes

M1842

I was going to try reconnecting my vacuum pump to the manifold and wiper motor to see if I could get the wipers functioning again (they have not functioned as long as I have owned the car.  I anticipated either a quick triumph or  disappointment.  But feeling around the vacuum pump I discovered that the metal pipes that provide inlet/outlet access to the pump are missing entirely.  Are these something that can be fabricated like brake lines, do I need any special fittings to fit the pipes to the pump?  Would it be better to buy another pump with pipes and transfer them to my pump?  It looks like rebuilt pumps do not come with these pipes though NOS units have them.

I expect to have to rebuild the pump anyway once I get it off the car.

Mark

I hooked up the wiper motor to the manifold port and the wipers move halfway up the windshield and stop, this happens every time I turn the wipers on.  This is at idle.  I haven't tried at speed.  Not enough vacuum?  Defective wiper motor?  Mechanical issue with the wiper mechanism?

My '55 wipers worked the same way when I first got the car (talking 40 years ago now) and I pulled the motor apart and cleaned out a lot of hardened grease and greased with fresh stuff and the wipers worked great the six years I had the car. Not a hard job - just be gentle with things (especially the nylon piece that connects to the cable going into the car - it will be fragile). If that does not correct have a professional rebuild the unit.

• Like 1

I got my spare pump with the vacuum pumps, should I be able to pull the pumps out by hand?   They seem quite tight though I could turn one with a light strokes from a brass hammer.  Should I put in some Kroil to make them turn easier?  I got the vacuum side opem and it is full of white powdery corrosion while the fuel pump side looks like new.

Mark