1942 pontiac torpedo vin decode

mikeabarringer

A serial number with a "C" prefix  was built in Southgate, California.  Style No. is Series 26 (Chieftain Six), 2-dr sed.-cpe.-5P  weight 3400 pounds.

From the Standard Catalog of Pontiac  1926-1995.

Sorry I don't have information on trim and paint.

"VIN" numbers as we know them today did not come about until 1981.  Between the 60's and 1981 we were working towards what we now call a "VIN" vehicle identification number

Double-check to make sure that you have the right VIN and have copied it down correctly. Once you have verified that the VIN is definitely less than 17 characters, the VIN is most likely from a pre-1981 vehicle.

Prior to 1981, VINs varied in length from 11 to 17 characters. AutoCheck can only report on vehicles that use a 17 character VIN. Therefore, information on vehicles manufactured before 1981 is limited.

Can't decode any of it, but the serial number plate below the tag was almost certainly not there originally.  Someone either moved it there from somewhere else, or had one made.  It appears to have been made and added.  They weren't always in the most easy to read locations.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tinindian said:

A serial number with a "C" prefix  was built in Southgate, California.  Style No. is Series 26 (Chieftain Six), 2-dr sed.-cpe.-5P  weight 3400 pounds.

From the Standard Catalog of Pontiac  1926-1995.

Sorry I don't have information on trim and paint.

"VIN" numbers as we know them today did not come about until 1981.  Between the 60's and 1981 we were working towards what we now call a "VIN" vehicle identification number

Double-check to make sure that you have the right VIN and have copied it down correctly. Once you have verified that the VIN is definitely less than 17 characters, the VIN is most likely from a pre-1981 vehicle.

Prior to 1981, VINs varied in length from 11 to 17 characters. AutoCheck can only report on vehicles that use a 17 character VIN. Therefore, information on vehicles manufactured before 1981 is limited.

until 1981 ?, the set of letters and numbers pictured on the metal strip below the trim data tag is the vehicle identification number or VIN. my 1953 pontiac chieftain has it's vin attached to the driver's door post, C8XH23###, not giving out the complete vin, 

Charles L. Coker

1953 pontiac tech advisor

pontiac oakland club int'l.

• Like 1

My dad and I were building it then he died. it has sat for 3 years. im trying to sell it now but people want to know exactly what it is due to the rareness of cars from 42.

thats why I got to get this figured out

Does body number 214 mean it was number 214 off the line?

paint number is 2200

trim number ?53 may be 053?

anyone know what those are? the rimes are brown but interior is light blue. have no clue to original body color

15 minutes ago, mikeabarringer said:

see, this reads i have 2 different cars. a streamliner 6 and 8 according to my plates. but you say I may have a chiefton? ill post some pictures.

b_P0001.jpg

well that what tinindian said, but what you have is a 1942 pontiac streamliner sedan coupe deluxe or 42-2607D.

Edited by pontiac1953 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

you rock brother!!!!! thanks so much!!!!!!!!!

if any yall know anyone interested in a new project its for sale. Dad and I wanted to put the original 8 cyl engine in it. i took one out of a 48 r door torpedo. it ended up having destroyed crank broken rods and a hole n the block. we gave up and i did what i do best, small block chevy.

20 hours ago, mikeabarringer said:

My dad and I were building it then he died. it has sat for 3 years. im trying to sell it now but people want to know exactly what it is due to the rareness of cars from 42.

thats why I got to get this figured out

Does body number 214 mean it was number 214 off the line?

paint number is 2200

trim number ?53 may be 053?

anyone know what those are? the rimes are brown but interior is light blue. have no clue to original body color

4200 is the code for black paint, looks like the tag says 4200

Edited by pontiac1953 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, pont35cpe said:

My `41 has the same small type serial number tag, located on the drivers side of the firewall.

This same number is stamped on top of the drivers side frame rail..

I think it may be off the original engine. I assume, instead of chucking the tag, whoever junked the old motor put this tag on the firewall 

3 minutes ago, mikeabarringer said:

I think it may be off the original engine. I assume, instead of chucking the tag, whoever junked the old motor put this tag on the firewall 

i think someone in the car's past changed the original pontiac six engine to a pontiac straight eight, that serial # is for a eight cylinder car and that tag is bolted to the firewall instead of being correctly rivet.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikeabarringer said:

No, not from an engine, the tag(frame#) is original to the car. If the original battery tray has been removed, this same number is stamped on top of the frame rail, usually hidden by the battery tray. Attached is a picture of a `41 Pontiac cowel tag and the small tag(frame #) below.

DSCN5442.JPG

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 1 year later...