1962 Skylark. Transmission troubles

Diggerblues

Greetings all, I have a 62 Skylark convertible. It has the dual-pass automatic transmission. The shop I work with has been unable to get the transmission pan to stop leaking. Do yall have any good ideas that are a sure fire way to seal this pan? Thanks in advance.

Randy

There are two types of transmission pans for those cars. One has a single large bolt in the middle of the pan. The other has 12-15 small bolts all around the edge of the pan. Sounds like your pan could be bent or warped, especially if it is the single-bolt style.

I have a complete transmission, but I'm in Texas. Have we talked before? If so, maybe you should buy my whole transmission rather than just parts of it.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

Good luck.  My 1962 Special has been sidelined since the reverse clutch pack on the dual path transmission went out.  I have a kit, but just haven’t done anything about it.  The middle child actually suggested dealing with it and bringing it to Oklahoma, but I suspect we don’t have time for that, although the snow is now nearly gone, so I’m pining to get started on the season.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Thriller said:

My 1962 Special has been sidelined since the reverse clutch pack on the dual path transmission went out.  I have a kit, but just haven’t done anything about it.

😯

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Have you looked at the bolt flange around the pan?  Lots of times the bolts get torqued too tight causing the holes to dimple. If that's the case, you'll never get it to stop leaking.  Get a body hammer and an anvil and flatten the dimpled holes.  Bolt it back in place with a new gasket but don't over tighten.