1920's dodge truck hub puller?

harvest

found this tool in my friends garage and I have no idea what it could have been used for.  Up on his property he has an old dodge truck in pieces I think a 1926-27 model?  it has the solid rear wheels.  anyway, I was thinking this tool might be for that truck?  would anyone perhaps know exactly what tool I have here and maybe its not even for a dodge truck?   Only marking on this puller is "1930" and I believe its for a 2 & 15/16 or 3" hub.   my thread gauge reads 16 threads per inch.  appreciate your shared knowledge and thoughts on this tool. thanks

p3.jpg

Edited by harvest (see edit history)

It is a wheel/hub puller for a vehicle with tapered axles and the same size screw on hub caps as the puller.  To pull the wheel you remove the hub cap and the axle nut.  Screw the puller on the wheel/hub, tighten the side bolt and tighten the tee bar to remove the wheel.

It could be.  These are all specific to the threaded hub.  I don't think any car builder made these.  I have never seen one with an auto makers name.  There were kits made with various sizes of pullers but most were specific sizes.  

18 hours ago, Tinindian said:

It could be.  These are all specific to the threaded hub.  I don't think any car builder made these.  I have never seen one with an auto makers name.  There were kits made with various sizes of pullers but most were specific sizes.  

Actually there ARE a few auto manufacturers who made them and have the car name on them, but they are rare. I have seen a few in my day.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, keiser31 said:

Actually there ARE a few auto manufacturers who made them and have the car name on them, but they are rare. I have seen a few in my day.

I guess with your photo talent and 30,000+ posts you would have seen things that I had never heard of.😊

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2019 at 6:36 AM, harvest said:

found this tool in my friends garage and I have no idea what it could have been used for.  Up on his property he has an old dodge truck in pieces I think a 1926-27 model?  it has the solid rear wheels.  anyway, I was thinking this tool might be for that truck?  would anyone perhaps know exactly what tool I have here and maybe its not even for a dodge truck?   Only marking on this puller is "1930" and I believe its for a 2 & 15/16 or 3" hub.   my thread gauge reads 16 threads per inch.  appreciate your shared knowledge and thoughts on this tool. thanks

I'm guessing this puller was a universal generic type sold in various publications from the time period (various shop and tool magazines like National Garage Tools). Could be wrong but I think IF it was from a specific automobile maker it would be stamped with manufacturers name and possibly numbers.

Here's a sample list of the closest listing I have to 2 15/16 or 3" (this may or may not be useful to you).

It's for 2 7/8 16 TPI showing the many cars a 2 7/8" puller would possibly work on. I do not have the year breakdown because this info was passed on from another board member.

Not sure how adjustable these tools may have been but figured it might help put things into perspective a bit more. 

Have you measured the friends 1926-27 Dodge Truck axle hubs yet ? Please share photos if you wouldn't mine, I'm confident we can help ID it further if he wants the help.

Hub 5.jpg

• Thanks 1

Hi 30Dodge,  I havnt yet to see my buddie who has that old dodge truck. I appreciate you posting that info for the hub pullers.  Would you happen to know what this hub puller I have here in my hands today could possibly fit?  Its 2 and 3/8 diam and has the UNF 24tpi measurement.  Again thank you for your time. 

IMG_2163.JPG

IMG_2165.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 4/15/2019 at 2:16 PM, harvest said:

Dave, Really appreciate that info!   It would have taken me a lifetime to figure that out even if I had a Maxwell!   LOL.    What a world with the internet!   Thank you again. What a great gang of members here!  

You're welcome.

Let me know what you find out from your friend about his truck. Always needing more input from the Dodge and Graham Brothers truck owners for data. Tell your friend we need wheelbase, frame, engine #'s or build card data would be icing on the cake for our research. If he wants to contact me directly I can send my email in a PM so you don't have to play the middle man.

• 4 months later...

Good Morning this is Dale in Ks. and Montana I was just reading you guys info. on hub pullers and trying to educate my self on these, witch I do have a couple of. Then I came to the Dodge / Graham Brothers truck topic, I do have a 28 Graham Brothers mostly restored in Montana, I would be glad to add to your list or give you any data off it I can find,  Iam purdy sure it has a good engine number and frame number if I can locate them on the vehicle. If I could figure out how to put pictures on here I would send a pic. I clicked where it said to chose files, but my photos didn’t come up and none of the grand kinds are around this morning!  dale.tharp@gmail.com  /  620 332 4932  thanks for all the info guys. 

On 9/23/2019 at 5:07 AM, Dale Tharp said:

Good Morning this is Dale in Ks. and Montana I was just reading you guys info. on hub pullers and trying to educate my self on these, witch I do have a couple of. Then I came to the Dodge / Graham Brothers truck topic, I do have a 28 Graham Brothers mostly restored in Montana, I would be glad to add to your list or give you any data off it I can find,  Iam purdy sure it has a good engine number and frame number if I can locate them on the vehicle. If I could figure out how to put pictures on here I would send a pic. I clicked where it said to chose files, but my photos didn’t come up and none of the grand kinds are around this morning!  dale.tharp@gmail.com  /  620 332 4932  thanks for all the info guys. 

Hi Dale, 

I'm collecting data for the Dodge Brothers Club and would appreciate any info you're willing to share.

Here are a couple of photos that will show you where to look for details on your truck so we can add your info to the data base.

We need the wheelbase, frame number and the engine number.

If your floorboards are intact you may have a small metal tag on the passenger side toe board that has some of the data.

If you can provide anything from the tag it would be helpful as well. 

Also, if you haven't sent away for your build card I always recommend any GB/DB truck owners send away for one.

I can walk you through that process if needed. 

Let me know if you have any questions

Regards,
Dave

Gboy 3.JPG

Tags 1 1917-1932.JPG