62 Cadillac vin Number

DanWan

Hi We have a 62 Cadillac 62 sedan 4 window 4  door 

We need to find vin number on chassis 

we have just finished a back to steel paint job and general refurb

we a trying to register it here in NZ but dont have a pink slip, a friend who is now deceased brought the  car in we purchased from his estate, we have the purchase & shipping Docs but no pink slip

we CAN find the engine number and matching door frame tag  62N etc as it is only 9 digits the door tag is screwed on with 2 screws so VTNZ wont accept it

we have checked the radiator posts and the front cross member, searched the chassis & inside the boot etc can find it

should there be a chassis number with 13 digits or is there just 9?

any ideas where else to look?

are the door frame tags originally riveted on or screwed?

The vin number is the 9 digit number that’s starts with 62 n , it is the one you found on the engine block and the oil lube tag . The oil lube tag was screwed in from the factory . The number will also be stamped in the frame rail on the drivers side top frame rail about 6 inches behind the radiator core support , will probably have to clean the rail to see it 

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, nzcarnerd said:

The tag on the door is the 'chassis' number. The people at VTNZ should know that.

For more info check here - http://www.tpocr.com/cadillacbp.html

and here - http://www.tpocr.com/cadillacvin.html

They won’t accept the lube tag as proof because it’s screwed on  and not permanently attached .

Edited by rwchatham
Spellings (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, rwchatham said:

They won’t accept the lube tag as proof because it’s screwed in and not permanently attached .

Are you saying the tag on the door pillar is the 'lube tag?  I am sure most of the cars of this era were registered here in NZ with that tag - which is its frame number. There are enough old Cadillacs here in NZ now.  The procedure should be the same for all of them.

I have a 1965 Pontiac which has the same type of door tag. I will have a look at it later today to see how it is attached.

Of course the body id tag will tell when it was built, and where, and with which options.

3 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

Are you saying the tag on the door pillar is the 'lube tag?  I am sure most of the cars of this era were registered here in NZ with that tag - which is its frame number. There are enough old Cadillacs here in NZ now.  The procedure should be the same for all of them.

I have a 1965 Pontiac which has the same type of door tag. I will have a look at it later today to see how it is attached.

Of course the body id tag will tell when it was built, and where, and with which options.

Yes the plastic tag in the door jamb is the lube tag , it has the vin number on it and blank space where you would write the mileage on it when you had the oil changed and lubed . 

Thanks for the replies,

The door post tag is metal, It does not have anywhere to write

VTNZ have said as it is screwed on with 2 screws it is no guarantee of authenticity

we have sanded the top radiator support rail in the area  left side of the radiator as pictured in other blogs, no sign of it

hoping someone can give some pointers on where it might be stamped elsewhere on the chassis or body

thanks

18 hours ago, DanWan said:

Thanks for the replies,

The door post tag is metal, It does not have anywhere to write

VTNZ have said as it is screwed on with 2 screws it is no guarantee of authenticity

we have sanded the top radiator support rail in the area  left side of the radiator as pictured in other blogs, no sign of it

hoping someone can give some pointers on where it might be stamped elsewhere on the chassis or body

thanks

My interpretation of what 'rwchatham' said about the number on the frame is that it would be on the actual frame rail somewhere just aft of the radiator. It might be hidden under the inner guard (fender) maybe?

Have you spoken to any other owners of Cadillacs of that era to see what sort of problems they have had?

My '65 Pontiac was imported privately in 1965. They didn't have those sort of hassles back in the day.

The thing with Cadillacs - being a big company with a long history - is that there is plenty of supporting info on the net.

Let me clarify , the vin number is stamped into the frame rail on the drivers side , it’s very easy to find by leaning over the fender into the engine compartment and cleaning the top rail !

secind  cadillac used a plastic tag that was screwed on with 2 screws just under the door stricken in the drivers door jamb . It was not metal it was plastic and it had the vin number also and a place to write the mileage during service . If you have some other type of tag post a photo and I can tell you if it’s from the factory or somebody added it on

21 minutes ago, GARY F said:

I never heard of a lube tag. unless it is the sticker that a gas station sticks on when they change the oil .

That would be a makntence sticker , a lube tag was a plastic tag cadillac used on the drivers door jamb just under the striker 

this problem seems to come up a lot. as one of you pointed out, the vin is stamped on the frame. this is true of most american cars.your state probably has an auto theft unit that goes to your motor vehicle office on a regular basis. find out when they will be there, they will have access to the location of where the vin number is on the frame.

On 2/26/2019 at 10:13 AM, rwchatham said:

Let me clarify , the vin number is stamped into the frame rail on the drivers side , it’s very easy to find by leaning over the fender into the engine compartment and cleaning the top rail !

secind  cadillac used a plastic tag that was screwed on with 2 screws just under the door stricken in the drivers door jamb . It was not metal it was plastic and it had the vin number also and a place to write the mileage during service . If you have some other type of tag post a photo and I can tell you if it’s from the factory or somebody added it on

Thank's you are correct it is on top of the LH chassis at the front adjacent to the Radiator, unfortunately, I found your post after we had found it with the help of the cadillac manual that we found on line!

Cheers, Dan