Trying to ID cars

Don Wiss

My brother and I are scanning pictures and putting up on my family website. I would like to identify the family cars that are in the pictures. At some point the family started only buying Chrysler products (my family was friends with the DeCozen family), so that made it easier for me to id the 1936 Chrysler Airstream Touring Sedan  and 1941 DeSoto Custom Series S8C Convertible Club Coupe that my grandfather drove.

I now have three cars that I am trying to id. The years are the year the picture was taken. I was thinking that the 1930 picture was a Chrysler product, but the door handles weren't right.

1922-car-1.jpg

1922-car-2.jpg

1924-car.jpg

1930-car.jpg

Edited by Don Wiss
added years (see edit history)

6 minutes ago, keiser31 said:

Third car looks to be a 1931 Chrysler Imperial.

Ah... Assuming, albeit incorrectly, that the years were correct, I did not look at the 1931s. I see the door handles changed, and now match. And possibly the hood ornament. Some things don't quite match the CUSTOM 8 SEDAN. But if truly custom, then each will be a little different.

3 minutes ago, Don Wiss said:

What model is that? The rear quarter windows seem wider in yours. I would also like to pin down the models.

1931 Chrysler Imperial model CG

And you are correct, the3rd window in your picture is smaller.

It may be a Chrysler and not have the "jump seats" like mine, so just a bit smaller in the back compartment.

Mike

Edited by FLYER15015 (see edit history)

52 minutes ago, FLYER15015 said:

1931 Chrysler Imperial model CG

And you are correct, the 3rd window in your picture is smaller.

It may be a Chrysler and not have the "jump seats" like mine, so just a bit smaller in the back compartment.

Mike

Based on the hood ornament (click image to get bigger image), I do believe it is an Imperial. Just a model without the jump seats.

It is parked in front of my grandparents' summer home. My grandmother had a chauffeur at the time, so I suspect it was her car.

I'm off to bed. I'll do more image searching tomorrow to pin down the model.

Thanks all for your help. I will have more cars. Though the big treasure trove is my great-grandfather's pictures, which a cousin has. In that box there will be cars going back to around 1900 for my great-grandfather, and back to the end of 1909, when my great-grandmother got her first car (and chauffeur).

47 minutes ago, Don Wiss said:

You guys are keeping me busy. Yes, it appears to be a 1921 Cadillac Victoria Coupe. What is mounted on the front bumper?

Those are shock absorber towers behind the bumper.

I am back to working on finding specific models. The 1922-23 Cadillac Type 61 came in 12 body styles, on the same wheelbase. Google Images gives so many spurious results its usefulness is limited. But I found this very useful catalog:

https://www.autopaper.com/1922-1923-cadillac-type-61-prestige-sales-brochure-touring-phaeton-roadster-limo.php

which shows the variants. The second car above is a 1922-23 Cadillac Type 61 Five Passenger Sedan.

This leaves the last one to really pin down. In the Literary Digest ad for the Chrysler Straight Eights it has no hood ornament, but pictured is not the Imperial. I will investigate the 1931 Imperial Straight Eight variants to try to find the correct rear side window...

All identified! The 1931 Imperial variants are shown here:

https://www.autopaper.com/1931-chrysler-imperial-eight-prestige-color-sales-brochure-catalog-original.php

The car is a 1931 Chrysler Imperial Eight Five Passenger Sedan. Mike in Colorado has the Seven Passenger Sedan.

Next time I am trying to identify a car I should start with that site. Very useful.

Thanks all for your help. I hope you don't mind posts like this.

32 minutes ago, Don Wiss said:

All identified! The 1931 Imperial variants are shown here:

https://www.autopaper.com/1931-chrysler-imperial-eight-prestige-color-sales-brochure-catalog-original.php

The car is a 1931 Chrysler Imperial Eight Five Passenger Sedan. Mike in Colorado has the Seven Passenger Sedan.

Next time I am trying to identify a car I should start with that site. Very useful.

Thanks all for your help. I hope you don't mind posts like this.

So, what is the car in the third photo? Nobody has identified it, yet....

The third car is the 1931 Chrysler Imperial Eight Five Passenger Sedan. Mike in Colorado, got it. Of course, it helped that he owned one, with the only difference being his is the 7 passenger and my grandparent's had the 5 passenger.

With three cars in one post it did get confusing. Maybe it should be one car per post.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Don Wiss said:

The third car is the 1931 Chrysler Imperial Eight Five Passenger Sedan. Mike in Colorado, got it. Of course, it helped that he owned one, with the only difference being his is the 7 passenger and my grandparent's had the 5 passenger.

With three cars in one post it did get confusing. Maybe it should be one car per post.

No.....THIS one....NOT a Cadillac and NOT a Chrysler....and yes....next time only one car per post please. Less confusing that way.

unusual car.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Don Wiss said:

So can we all get a couple of "likes" ?

1 hour ago, Don Wiss said: