1927 Star starter (Autolite)

bjestes

I just acquired a "new" project, and am in the process of going through everything.  1927 Star Durant M Roadster, with 4 cyl. Continental.  My question is with starter Bendix.  It seems my gear that engages on the flywheel stays engaged.  I haven't started it, but tried cranking to see if working.  Everything cranks, but gear stays.  The spring seems intact, so what am I missing?  Does the gear disengage due to centrifugal force at higher rpms?  It seems the gear should retract on spiral shaft away from flywheel.  Any comments greatly appreciated.  I thought the old girl would be simple and fun to keep "the basics" , but like smart phones she's kicking my butt!

Joining is in the works.  Since the starter is Autolite, I felt there would be more response by including Ford, etc. than just the Star Durant folks.  The Durant side is pretty sparse for any postings on forums.  However, I'm sure I will be picking their brains in the near future.

There is a spiral cut in the starter shaft for the Bendix drive. The drive is supposed to slide back and forth freely. When the starter spins it kicks forward, when it stops it retracts or is kicked back by the flywheel. Sometimes they get gummed up especially if a car is out of service. Usually a shot of penetrating oil, and moving back and forth a few times cures them.