Early style cast brass gas tank fittings needed

alsfarms

Al go to a plumbing supply co an buy a flange plate with the pipe thread size you need . I drill 4 holes in them and rivot/ sweat them in place. They look great and are authentic. Make sure to get in brass and you shape the flange part to fit the radius of your tank.

floor flange.jpg

Edited by mikewest (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Hello Mike,  That very solution, you suggested,  is one that I have considered, if I can't locate old original pieces from a rusted out donor tank.  By using a modified flange, as you suggested, I could also modify smaller versions of the same item, from which to pull fuel from the tank and make a separate pressure inlet port, which I also need.  Thanks for your response.

Al

Edited by alsfarms (see edit history)

I have a plumbing house next door to me that has beeni business since the 1950s. They have old stuff . What sizes are you thinking 3/8 pipe? Ill find out what he has in brass I used 1/2 inch pipe on my Mitchell.

For the fuel out of the tank and 1/4 inch pipe to pressurize the tank . Ill send pics ofmy tank. Mike

• Like 1

Have you had your tank up and running on pressure?  I am concerned about getting a good seal with pipe threads.  I don't want to need  a wrench to tighten the lid enough to hold air pressure.  I am thinking of fine straight threads and a gasket surface, with gasket, so I can go hand tight.  What are your thoughts?

Al

48 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

Have you had your tank up and running on pressure?  I am concerned about getting a good seal with pipe threads.  I don't want to need  a wrench to tighten the lid enough to hold air pressure.  I am thinking of fine straight threads and a gasket surface, with gasket, so I can go hand tight.  What are your thoughts?

Al

48 minutes ago, alsfarms said:

Al

My thoughts are you overthink too many things. Its a old car... not heart surgery. Ive had several tanks (model T ford speedsters ) with pressurized tanks . I put some pipe dope on the threads and tighten it up. Done and fine.....

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...