Replacing seat springs 1928 Whippet

wmsue

I've got a few springs that are twisted and bent on my front seat. I'd like to replace them so the seat doesn't have a soft spot in it anymore.

There are atleast 4 different size springs used in the seat.

How and where does one buy new coil springs and how do I measure them? Compressed? Uncompressed? Number or coils? Diameter?

Snyder's Model T Supply is only 45 minutes from my house. I know they started out as a seat spring business.  I plan on calling them next week.

Thanks

Bill

IMG_0664.jpg

IMG_0665.jpg

Edited by wmsue (see edit history)

Hope you have good luck with your source. 

Short of that, have you tried to contact the Willys Overland Knight Registry (WOKR)?

You didn't mention what model you have but might get lucky someone has (while used) one that you are looking for that can be reupholstered. 

Let us know how you make out.

EDITED:

p.s. Should have looked closer at your bio, I see that it is  Cabriolet. NICE! 

I have my Dad's and they are small but gather many compliments.

415173409_Sept42011-pic1.thumb.JPG.f6394f2d7d9948906bc5b67614b1030f.JPG

Edited by dei (see edit history)

Nice looking Whippet. Mine is the same color but I have different bumpers.

Does your back window zip open? It sure looks bigger than mine.

I plan on using canvas the same color as yours when I have a new top made.

I stopped by Snyder's today and left my seat springs so they can make an exact duplicate. Price was $250 for a complete new seat spring with frame. Some of the old clamps are so brittle I felt it was a fair price to pay. Now I have to decide if I take the seat back off and run it down to him.

In addition to working on the seats, I'm looking for an engine for it, or at least one that I can have rebuilt. I have a model 96A in it now but it's developing a knock. It threw a rod (2 owners ago) and he replaced the rod and had the block welded. I'd like to get a different block to have rebuilt. Not sure I trust this one.

The search continues.

thanks

Edited by wmsue (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks Bill.

I can't take credit for the work as it was all Dad. I do know that he was able to get reproduction scale blue prints from the WOKR showing the rumble seat construction as his (ours) was rusted along the drip rails and the wood had been replaced but was not quite right. I think it showed the back window and might have been an early production type as it was wood so he made it that way.

Yes it unsnaps (no zipper) and due to the glass folds inward and snaps up on the wood bows (somewhat out of the way). I'm 6'4" and sit rather tall in the seat (let alone doubled up at the knees - LOL) so take that into consideration when I say somewhat out of the way...

316699425_Whippet-July302013-CompanyfromGermany-pic8.thumb.jpg.d17fff7d1f444b86dd01a9aa7a17bb7f.jpg

1668082022_1928Whippet-Nov102012-pic7-Copy.thumb.JPG.88a89178489b59b68f34d72141b3c3ca.JPG

If I may make a suggestion to you, when it comes time for your top, make sure the installer allows another snap (further back) at the body behind the door. Ours did not do that and when putting the top down stresses the material (hence needing to move the snap further back). I need to get that done one day as I think driving with the top down would be nicer for me.

Here is what Dad started with back in 1968.

Ives-Slides_957.thumb.jpg.9ef1ea1ad6e0495a2a3d346263c81e88.jpg

Sorry I can't help with another engine but these 4 cylinders were popular so you should be able to find one somewhere. 

So far I have knowledge and seen four other 1928 Cabriolets still in existence and yours would make five.

Care to post pictures of yours?

Looks like you and your Dad put a lot of work into it.

I have a 65 Buick Electra that I bought when I was a junior in high school for $200. finally got is back on the road in 2012.

I retired 2 years ago and bought the Whippet as my retirement project. It was living in Rochester NY and the gentleman I bought it from and his Dad owned it since the early 70's.

I have replaced 3 pieces of wood under the top and removed the canvas fabric. The leather back of the seat is stapled to the same wood that the top staples to. So I'm working on getting the seat springs, then hopefuly work on the new top.  You can see from the last photo that a large piece of the canvas top was missing when I bought it.

I'm only 5'10" and have a difficult time getting into the car. I usually leave it down to make it easier. Can't visualize how a 6'4" person can climb in.

Lots of work to do on it too. But, that's the fun of it.

Bill

65 Electra Conv..jpg

whippet profile photo.jpg

IMG_1654.jpg

IMG_2391.jpg

IMG_2408.jpg

• Like 1