Searching for Paul Sorvino's 'Dad's 1940 Century Sedan

fireball8

Hi folks, New member here.   The day I was born in 1965, my dad (BCA Member 444) drove me home in his 1940 Century Sedan w/ sidemounts.  I loved the car throughout my childhood in Palo Alto Ca,  Making me a Buick Guy forever. He said she would be mine someday. But after a divorce from my mom he fell on hard times. Selling the car to actor Paul Sorvino (Law & Order, etc) in the early 1980's.   Apparently Paul's young little daughter Mira  (Oscar winner) was with him at the time.  I have since found that Sorvino sold the car a few years later & the trail goes cold at that point.  I have no plate VIN on the car, but hope that maybe someone here knows of the car, perhaps due to it's celebrity connection.--------------------  I would like to buy her back!  Or at least find out that she is alive & well, loved by somebody.

It's a long-shot but worth a try!   Thank you,  fireball8  in San Diego

Have you tried contacting Mr. Sorvino? He lives right here in LA.

Sometimes it's easier than you think. 
I have done this several times to confirm or deny celebrity ownership of (usually) cars. I contacted and spoke with Robert Taylor's daughter about a T-bird I was looking at that he had owned. She was very 
friendly and helpful.

Also spoke with one of Erroll Flynn's daughter's regarding a property her father owned.

I found, if approached respectfully, some family members are very helpful and appreciate that people remember their family.

I know this doesn't apply to Paul Sorvino as he's still among us, but if you send a contact stating that it is in regards to a vintage car, he (or someone there) may be quite helpful.

Good Luck with your search.

Greg

Fireball8, 

I think GregLaR gave you great advice. Sometimes you can reach out to the actor's agent, which can be easier than the actor and/or his family...at least in your first "swing of the bat." After all, one thing agents do for celebrities is screen people who are trying to reach them. 

Another suggestion that MIGHT be of some help: When searching for my old 1968 Camaro here in Ohio, I contacted my insurance agent for State Farm. He had been my agent for a long time, and it took his secretary only a few minutes to find a copy of an old invoice for coverage on that car, which included the VIN. Also sometimes lending institutions may have records going back that far. 

One thing for sure, you'll feel much more comfortable that you have found THE correct car, when you know for sure what the VIN was. 

Good luck searching! 

You might also pose your question in the

"Buick-General" category.  Scroll down the list

of topics, and you'll see several Buick-specific

topics.  Lots of knowledgeable Buick collectors

frequent those topics who might not notice your

inquiry here.

All the best to you in your search.

Welcome to the AACA Discussion Forum. I have moved your post to the Buick Forum. Perhaps you will find someone who knows about the car here, in addition to the good answers that you have already received in the AACA General Forum.

Thanks, Guys.  Yes, I tried the Sorvino route. That's how I know it had been sold off by Paul.  Because a Camera-Director buddy of mine happened to marry an actress who has been a friend of Mira & the Sorvino family for years.  That was certainly a "small world" type lucky break. 

When I spoke to my pal's wife about my late father's Buick she said "Oh!  The Gangster Car!  Mira's dad (Paul) would take Mira & I to the beach in it when we were kids"   She remembered the car very well.    So she called Mira, who confirmed it had been sold long ago with no intel on the buyer.  So as I said, the trail goes cold after the Sorvinos sold it.

I think that any 1940 Side-mounted Century Sedan has a chance of being the one.  There are a few specific details about the car that I remember from my childhood that still could be present.   If somebody has this year and model please contact me. perrywright@cox.net

Thank you again!