56 4dr interior?

56 Rockster

Hey guys. Wondering if I can get some advice. Bought a 1956 olds 88 4dr a few years ago. Was newly painted and it great condition. Original engine and runs smooth. Took the seats out today and pulled all the old vinyl out and cardboard underlayment and lots of tar! Lots if surface rust on driver and passenger sides. Any suggestions on what to treat it with? Any suggestions on flooring? wanting to do a dark grey. Products you suggest?

IMG_20181222_150913098.jpg

If it's only surface rust I'd hit it with a Scotchbrite wheel or wire wheel to get the loose stuff off, then coat it with black or red Rustoleum. POR15 is another option but I think it's messy and if it gets on anything it pretty much has to wear off.

DK if you'd find correct rubber floor covering for it as it IS different from the Chevy floorpans. Carpet option was a flat weave and you might be able to find that and the underlayment. www.fusick.com and search their online 1935-1960 catalog.

• Like 1

I agree with Glenn.  If that is just surface rust, the floor is in great condition for it's age.  More often than not, many look like swiss cheese.  Another option would be to mask & tape off the rest of the interior of the car and have the floor media blasted.  That would be my probable direction.  Should not be that much.  Just a bunch of media in places that you do not mask & tape off.  Then you would have an extremely clean surface to work with.

• 1 month later...

Another question for you guys, was getting ready to put the floor carpet together today and my heater core started leaking antifreeze. I got it all pulled out but i cannot find anyone who sells them. Any ideas? Glad it leaked now and not after i got everything done. I have googled and googled and cannot find a supplier. Called the local Carquest shop and he could not find anything either.