Bad Riviera 1972

djrogga

Hello Sweden here. I wonder why my Buick Riviera from 1972 
with 455 engine blowing in the exhaust pipe during throttle, 
has replaced the spark plug carburettor tried to adjust the 
ignition but the distributor can only turn to one direction, 
it can be wrongly mounted ...please help

Greetings Sweden!  It looks like "someone" may have installed the distributor improperly,  failing to mark it's proper position before removing it. If you were off by only 1 gear tooth that would throw the timing way off, but the car may still run, or at least want to run. That would explain the backfiring, which is what I believe you are describing. You will not be able to achieve the proper timing by rotating the distributor if it was wrongly mounted as you say. Why the distributor will only turn in one direction is a mystery to me. Because of this, I should probably NOT be the one to instruct you on how to achieve the proper timing. Hopefully someone smarter than me (a very low bar to hurtle) can contribute. C'mon guys, reach out across the ocean & help a fellow Riviera owner out!...... Shmiddy! I know you're reading this! You're closer than we are, & probably know a little Swedish. A short train & ferry ride & you can school djrogga how to do it in person.              Rivnik

My guess would be off a tooth. Probably can only go in 1 direction is because the vacuum advance is hitting something. But kinda hard to guess with minor details and no pics etc.. What is the timing set at? Do you have a timing light. Start with the basics then move on. Process of elimination.