Bill Hirsch passed

MrEarl

I am so sad to hear this. I had the honor of meeting Bill in person several times at Hershey. He was just incredible--had the energy of a person half his age when he was in his 80s. He had an amazing ability to make you think you were the most important person he had met or talked to all week, regardless of how small or insignificant your purchase or question was. He was the most genuinely nice guy I have ever met in my life. When I ordered one small hide of green leather for the '49 Buick woody that I was restoring 6 or 7 years ago, he personally handled the order, and then would call me every few weeks to apologize for the supplier's delay. It was incredulous to me that he would find the time to give me that kind of personal service when he had thousands and thousands of customers world-wide, most of whom spent a lot more money than I did. As a magazine editor who reminded him to renew his ads each year, and sent bills for same, he would personally call me up when he received the bill and if payment was late, would apologize for that, and he always remembered me with a greeting each Christmas. When I sent him some Buick lamp numbers and specifications he wanted one year, he profusely thanked me and made me so glad to have helped him. I just can't say enough nice things about the man. He was absolutely incredible--one of the most memorable and amazing people I have ever met. His loss is felt personally. Everyone and everything in his path were better for having come into contact with him. I admired this guy to no end.  R.I.P., Bill Hirsch. I'm honored to have called you a friend.

Pete Phillips, BCA #7338

• Like 7