PreWar Maybach

Davlet

Hey Bill : You being a Seattle guy virtually exactly my age, do you remember when we were kids, teenagers, did you ever know Mr. Trudeau on Sandpoint Way North of Matthew's Beach ? If so you remember that Maybach in front of his house, right ? Black with red leather and covered with a canvas tarp, rain (gasp!!!), or shine. It still smelled fine, and had the 120PS 6 cylinder engine. I think Mr. Trudeau told me the car had 8 speeds forward and 2 in reverse. (Or something like that). Last I saw the car was at the Imperial Palace, maybe about 25 years ago. Long out of its original colors, the original Grebel headlights were equally history. Stolen out of the garage when Murray had it. Oh if only ! If only I had been about 10 years older, I would have made Trudeau an offer. He had that big black Chrysler Imperial (limo?), in the one car garage facing the street, and a lot of 'teens brass under sheds out back in the field. I remember a Jordan Playboy roadster out there, and a 1912 Buick touring in his basement. It was another fairly young man, older than us, though, who bought the Buick off him. I  can't quite remember his name, but several years later I traded my '57 Eldo convertible to him. 

I liked Mr. Trudeau quite a lot. Some of the kids, even Paul Murray (but he was just a little kid back then), were afraid of him. I think they thought he was mean. But he was not. Maybe his super thick glasses made him look strange, but he was a very nice man. VERY nice, really. He offered me a rock solid '38 LaSalle for $100, but I was too young to legally drive it. I could have swung it with my paper route money, about 85 Seattle Times subscribers. However one of my customers, Dick Levin down on a houseboat where my route ended on Portage Bay, gave me a non-running early '49 Cadillac (soft cams), Convertible. There is no way in the world I could have resisted temptation to go tooling around in that 4 door "Gangster Car" LaSalle. Would have earned more than a frown from Judge Vernon Towne. Under age as I was,  taking the '49 apart kept me out of trouble. So I kept pedaling my bicycle from South of the Mountlake bridge, out to visit Mr Trudeau and his cars. The Maybach was always of greatest interest to me. I hope you had the pleasure of knowing Mr. Trudeau, and might even have bought a car from him.   -   Carl 

1 hour ago, C Carl said:

Hey Bill : You being a Seattle guy virtually exactly my age, do you remember when we were kids, teenagers, did you ever know Mr. Trudeau on Sandpoint Way North of Matthew's Beach ? If so you remember that Maybach in front of his house, right ? Black with red leather and covered with a canvas tarp, rain (gasp!!!), or shine. It still smelled fine, and had the 120PS 6 cylinder engine. I think Mr. Trudeau told me the car had 8 speeds forward and 2 in reverse. (Or something like that). Last I saw the car was at the Imperial Palace, maybe about 25 years ago. Long out of its original colors, the original Grebel headlights were equally history. Stolen out of the garage when Murray had it. Oh if only ! If only I had been about 10 years older, I would have made Trudeau an offer. He had that big black Chrysler Imperial (limo?), in the one car garage facing the street, and a lot of 'teens brass under sheds out back in the field. I remember a Jordan Playboy roadster out there, and a 1912 Buick touring in his basement. It was another fairly young man, older than us, though, who bought the Buick off him. I  can't quite remember his name, but several years later I traded my '57 Eldo convertible to him. 

I liked Mr. Trudeau quite a lot. Some of the kids, even Paul Murray (but he was just a little kid back then), were afraid of him. I think they thought he was mean. But he was not. Maybe his super thick glasses made him look strange, but he was a very nice man. VERY nice, really. He offered me a rock solid '38 LaSalle for $100, but I was too young to legally drive it. I could have swung it with my paper route money, about 85 Seattle Times subscribers. However one of my customers, Dick Levin down on a houseboat where my route ended on Portage Bay, gave me a non-running early '49 Cadillac (soft cams), Convertible. There is no way in the world I could have resisted temptation to go tooling around in that 4 door "Gangster Car" LaSalle. Would have earned more than a frown from Judge Vernon Towne. Under age as I was,  taking the '49 apart kept me out of trouble. So I kept pedaling my bicycle from South of the Mountlake bridge, out to visit Mr Trudeau and his cars. The Maybach was always of greatest interest to me. I hope you had the pleasure of knowing Mr. Trudeau, and might even have bought a car from him.   -   Carl 

Might be that one ))) 

Black with red leather 

DSC02501 (1).JPG

DSC02501.JPG

DSC02502 (1).JPG

DSC02502.JPG

DSC02509.JPG

DSC02510.JPG

Not all similar to the more modern Maybach you show. The one I knew was a convertible sedan, with styling typical of 1931-32 vintage. It probably lost the original paint and upholstery in the late '60s (?). Really a shame the car was not stored in Trudeau's basement, (and later sold to me, of course ?), even if the 1912 Buick had to head to the shed. In any case, in my opinion, it was too nice to restore by today's standards. When I saw it at The I.P. 20-25 years ago, the color scheme resembled to a degree, that of the V12 Maybach in The Nethercutt collection. I am more of a purist, and preferred the original black with red.    -   Carl 

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...