'38 dodge truck internal headlight hardware info needed

38rcdodge

20181017_190723.thumb.jpg.cf367f1ce0a751ed38ac7bf897529177.jpg

Hi everyone, I am wondering if anyone has pictures of how the factory headlight lens locking mechanism on these trucks. I can fabricate the missing parts, but don't know what is missing.   I am including pictures of what remains. it is different from all other headlights I've seen. they are the type that just has a screw on the bottom that is loosened before removing the lens. I believe they are Riteway.

any insight would be greatly appreciated. 

thanks,

Bill.

20181017_190739.jpg

20181017_194018.jpg

very good, thanks  for that Vic.  yes it is supposed to work as you describe,  but i think this is a different design in your picture . it does not have the coil springs, but instead has bigger leave spring type springs . I actually have another headlight, probably from a '36 or '37 (maybe from a car) that uses the coils,  there is a little bracket that comes through, as well as a screw, (the black one) the '38 (green one) just has a screw hole. it was converted to sealed beam at some point unfortunately, so most original hardware is missing. what I can't figure out is what the screw went against, or into, to keep the lens from being pushed in. 

20181018_150623.jpg

20181018_150725.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks, yeah the spare '36 headlight has a clip like that, but on the '38 there is only a screw, so it is a mystery how it was originally. for now I made a simple bracket internally mounted to the reflector  with a hole that the screw fits into which I made pointed on the end , so when tightened it locks the lens in place. probably not "correct" but will work for now I think. :)  

20181024_181507.jpg