need help identifying grandpa's car 1910-1920 era

hello Studebaker Forum,

I recently found this picture of my grandpa's car in taken in 1921.  I want to figure out what "exact" year, make and model this car is in the picture below.  Wondering if anyone can direct me to someone who would know from the details in the picture?

the Buick forum guys suggested Studebaker as a possibility and I can see details that agree, but am hoping to drill it down some more.

The picture is my grandfather driving in 1921 with my dad (the little guy in the middle) in the back seat.

The details I have noticed that seem unique are:

a)  the 7 lugs on the tires,

b)  the sharp corner at the base of the windscreen,

c)  the ‘inserted’ louver panel in the engine cowling - not stamped in the actual panel, (i haven't found this in other Stude' pictures ??)

d)  the in-between doors ‘centered’ attachment screw, and,

e)  the access panel in the rocker under the rear door.

f)  it has been suggested that the hood length indicates a 6cyl rather then a 4cyl.

The Studebaker pictures i have found seem to indicate a much more "rounded" protruding rocker panel under the doors then my picture indicates.  Don't know what to think about that detail being off.

Any suggestions or direction would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

239024440_1921_EdwardHawkinsc1921.thumb.jpg.2ae582de892a2ff5e28cfcf8ee12a6af.jpg

19 minutes ago, Spinneyhill said:

I think the nearest headlight is tilted back a bit much, pointing up rather than horizontal.

Yes possibly due to a bump or knock as evidenced by the damage to the mudguard sides.  No doubt many early vehicles had to "earn their keep" and were workhorses.

Wonderful.  Thank you all for that direction and information.

So, if i understand correctly, grandpa had a "1917 Model ED Six cylinder", also named the "Series 18".  Is that correct ?

In following this information I also see that Studebaker made a '1918' model of the same name, which leads me to wonder what differences there are that distinguish the '17s from the '18s?  (i also see the they later named it " 'Light' six Model EH").

If, and i am, going to look to purchase one, un-restored, then best that I nail down the details before i go the wrong direction.

thank you all,

Steve

On ‎10‎/‎19‎/‎2018 at 8:59 PM, Stude17 said:

The quoted post was started by Tim Plas (trap442w30) who inquired, then purchased that 1917 ED Series 18. I had the pleasure of helping Tim out with a few issues to get the car running and loaned him my Illustrated Parts Manual. He was very enthused about trying to get it to the National Studebaker Meet in South Bend last year and was successful in doing so. I was able to meet Tim in person and checked out the car, which was in really nice original condition. We had a few good conversations and he was able to make it about halfway along the tour to downtown South Bend but ran into some fueling issues..  Fast forward to December 2017....Tim passed away very unexpectantly on his 52nd birthday.  I was really saddened to hear of his passing, which was announced in the March-April 2018 Antique Studebaker Review.  His wife, Joyce, was inquiring of Richard Quinn a value of that car if she decided to sell it.  I'm not sure if she did sell it our not but can provide you her email address if you wanted to ask (just PM me).

Scott

3 hours ago, Stude Light said:

The quoted post was started by Tim Plas (trap442w30) who inquired, then purchased that 1917 ED Series 18. I had the pleasure of helping Tim out with a few issues to get the car running and loaned him my Illustrated Parts Manual. He was very enthused about trying to get it to the National Studebaker Meet in South Bend last year and was successful in doing so. I was able to meet Tim in person and checked out the car, which was in really nice original condition. We had a few good conversations and he was able to make it about halfway along the tour to downtown South Bend but ran into some fueling issues..  Fast forward to December 2017....Tim passed away very unexpectantly on his 52nd birthday.  I was really saddened to hear of his passing, which was announced in the March-April 2018 Antique Studebaker Review.  His wife, Joyce, was inquiring of Richard Quinn a value of that car if she decided to sell it.  I'm not sure if she did sell it our not but can provide you her email address if you wanted to ask (just PM me).

Scott

That is sad to hear about Tim's passing.  From what I can see from the photos's of his Stude it looks to be in exceptional original condition and hopefully the OP will follow up on your lead without delay.