29 Erskine Spark Advance Lever

hi all, my grandfather and I have acquired back my great grandfathers 29 erskine after years of trying, we are in the process of getting it on the road again. My question is, if anyone on here knows how to remove the headlamp, spark advance and throttle levers so I can pull the steering wheel off and replace it as it is all cracked up. 

Get in touch with Studerex.

It requires removing the entire steering column from the car, then the tubes inside of the column.

I helped him one time with one of these. It's not hard, but patience helps. none of it comes apart from the top.

Jeff

Edited by Jet Doc
additional comments (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Thanks all for the reply’s, the old steering wheel is also cracked and flaking in the middle causing it to grab the levers when it is rotated, I have acquired another steering wheel that is in mint shape so will just replace it. I’m going to pull the whole colum out and do it on the work bench as the tranny and engine are out of the car being rebuilt anyway making it easy. Pretty amazing old car to work on, the old girls lights all still worked after not being turned on for 70 years

95C1867C-A0C3-48F3-87D3-22E900EC2F58.jpeg

EEEF8048-670E-437A-A065-1319CBDB5332.jpeg

8E910372-08BA-49FC-B915-B0E8443749DE.jpeg

• Like 2

great looking car.  great story being in the family.  where are you from?

the best thing I did was get the service manual and parts manual reprints of ebay,  I actually get more use out of the parts manual.  then get an original owners manual, it you don't already have one, theres a couple on ebay as well.

terry

Edited by automaschinewerks (see edit history)

I was through Manor several times in the 60's driving my Grandfathers Regina built Pontiac going from Melita Manitoba to Moose Jaw.  I didn't know it then but my future wife's grandparents had moved to Forget, Northwest Territories, from Quebec in the 1890's.  My Grandfather lived in Moosomin, North West Territories in the 1880's, worked in a livery stable and drove people all over what was to become southeastern Saskatchewan in 1905.

Good  luck with your restoration.  Hope you have many years of fun with your Great-Grandfathers car.

Oh wow that’s pretty neat, my great great grandfather also came from Quebec with his family in a box car smuggling the children as they could not afford tickets for them. They came with an ox, some lumber and built a sod house, that homestead  is still in the family. My grandfather as a boy (on the right) in front of the old erskine 

35D42DF1-AB20-4188-9EA9-DE321CA2E443.jpeg

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

Beautiful car , Ive got the same Erskine model 52 , Mine came from Saskatchewan in the 50's to Dawson creek where my Grandfather worked on it for years, my father took it to Yukon after the old guy passed and began a total overhaul on it but lost interest in it , I brought it back into BC this year , the mechanical is almost all done , I need to do the interior and paint . Will try to get some pictures on here as soon as i figure out how to lol.

• 2 weeks later...