1926 Clutch

McCargar

I have used brake clean solvents on woven brake lining and then high pressure air.  solvent disolves the greas and oil and then air blast to remove from the material.  I would think you could use your favorite solvent and then air to clean them up.   They are made of woven material  with no bonding agent theat could break down with solvent use.

Bob Engle

• Like 1

I've shown these pics, and told this story before, but my 27-54CC clutch was stuck solid, happened with no warning. 

I used an old round cake pan and washed the plates in gasoline using a paintbrush and an old toothbrush. 

After thorough drying, back in it went and it works again as it always did. 

052414 buick clutch (22).JPG

052414 buick clutch (23).JPG

4 hours ago, hidden_hunter said:

Doesn’t the book tell you to plug the drain with a rag and run the car with gas on the clutch?

I've read and heard of that method, but in my case I was not comfortable with that much gas being in a place it really shouldn't be, in roughly the center of a car made with a substantial amount of wood. 

An inadvertant ignition source could result in person and property damage. 

You better keep the level very much below the center line of the transmission or the gasoline will end up in the transmission.  There are also no gaskets on the flywheel housing.  This would not be a recommended practice for too many reasons to list.  

Since your clutch is apart, I would use brake clean to clean up the parts and to keep the dust down.  I would also use a wire brush to remove as much loose material as possible.  Although it may not be said, there is probably a 100% chance that there is asbestos in the lining material.  I would take any loose piece outside, put a fan behind you and wire brush off any loose material.   For the flywheel part, I would put a new filter into a shop vacuum and clean the  back of the flywheel.  Turning the flywheel as you clean it and minimizing any dust.  You probably need a small screwdriver to clean this part and all the teeth.  Take the bag out of the shop vac and dispose of it in a plastic bag when you are done.   If the linings are still good, you can just put it back together.  Be sure to add touches of grease on the clutch metal to metal contact points and in the pilot bushing.  If you want to replace the linings, you can get a non asbestos material and rivets from Industrial brake and Supply, or you can mail your clutch plates to them to be relined.    Your parts look pretty clean and may just need to be cleaned up and reinstalled.    Hugh

734222107_ClutchJimMaifeldcontactinfo.thumb.JPG.b059952ae72638f9496b20952af24a77.JPG