Turnsignal wiring 1964 Buick Wildcat

You guys on this thread are used to changing things around and making them work.  This is my problem and my mechanic, so far, hasn't figured out what to do about it.  They reopen tomorrow.

For 1964-1966 Buicks Full-size with tilt-wheel the turnsignal switch 2.895 1993621 is simply not available (I do have a used spare) and I can't turn up a jumper cable if there was one.

The switch for the Skylark is available new, as is the switch for the Chevrolet Impala. 1993624 for the Chevy.  I can get a new old stock jumper cable for the Chevrolet.  So here is my question, has anybody on here ever tried substituting the Chevrolet switch and jumper for the one used on the Buick?  I've got to find a fix for my problem.  I put a tilt wheel in my Buick Wildcat and the jumper was not supplied with it, nor did I ever expect to need one.  I no longer have the non-tilt column so I can't give up and put it back in.  Surely somebody out there in Buick-land has put a tilt wheel into their full size Buick and figured out how to get the turn signals to work.  If the wheel is down, one side works.  If the wheel is up the other side works.  I am positive it is not the switch......unless the body shop used the switch from my non-tilt wheel.  The mechanical shop opens again tomorrow and maybe I can find that out.  Substituting the Chevrolet parts, which look the same would quickly solve my problem; however there must be a reason why they had different numbers.  HELP!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

The guys on the Riviera forum run into this problem quite often.  The problem is in the cable that runs from the lever through the column to the switch at the base of the column.  The cable itself is okay, but the sheath it's housed in is broken.  Search the ROA forum for a quick fix (put the steering wheel where you want it - and leave it there- then adjust the switch so it works in both directions.  Or see how to fabricate a new cable/sheath.  The sheath breaks when the tilt lever is pulled back and the steering wheel is allowed to  slam up without anything - like the driver - guiding it into its upper position. 

Never a good idea to let the wheel spring upward when the tilt lever is pulled!  Deploy the lever with one hand on the wheel to control it's movement.  EVEN on the '70s columns, too!  The only thing to limit the movement are metallic pot metal items, no rubber bumpers.  The internal spring is quite strong.  Eventually, something deforms and later breaks.

Treat them "nicely"!

NTX5467