1925 Buick high oil pressure

J.H.Boland

My '25 Buick Standard Six seems to have excessive oil pressure.The oil gauge stays right off the scale,cold or hot.I thought at first that it was just the gauge (I haven't tried another one) but the first time I drove it any distance, I found the fan belt and front pulley drenched in oil. My question is: how do you adjust the oil pressure on this vehicle ?  Could that be the cause of  oil pushing through the front seal? Is there even a front seal or just a slinger ? 

Any help or advise would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Jim

Jim.

I have had the same trouble as you,from time to time this summer the oil preassure has been to high(top of the oil gauge).

I removed the crank pan and started removing the "bolt"that  hold the ball(black in the picture) and spring inside the pump,I know since earlier that the bult should be pressed up by the spring when removing it ,but it wasn`t this time, it semed that the spring was "frosen"when I then looked at the bult there was some tracks from the spring on it? .I grinded the piece of the bolt where the spring stay when it`s pressed down.I started the engine and it looked okej on the oil gauge,but I haven`t testad on the road yet.

At the same time I removed all the oil pressure brass tubes,but couldn`t find any stop or other problem on  the oil pressure brass tubes.

It took me 1 day to fix it,so don`t woory about a lot of job.But of course I could stay under the car and do the job!

The only way to change the oil pressure is to change the spring,no adjustings.

Leif in Sweden

IMG.jpg

Edited by Leif Holmberg (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Jim, 

I believe that your oil pressure problem is likely due to the spring being stuck and holding the ball on the check valve closed as has been pointed out already.  The pan will have to come off to get to the oil pump.  The oil leak is another matter.  Attached is what you will need to resolve your oil leak on the front of the engine.  The first procedure is to replace the felt seal on the end of the camshaft.  You should be able to do this without removing the front timing cover.  The second is replacing the fan hub internals with sealed bearings.  Kyle Sliger was going to make some aluminum hubs, but you would have to contact him if you wanted to have him make you one when he has time for this.  Tony Bult also is making hubs if you need one right away.   Hugh

1338874585_TimingCoverseal1.thumb.JPG.25c38631affde43cdc92b243a813addd.JPG815744513_TimingCoverseal2.thumb.JPG.5568da971200a123cd4158848ac466f3.JPG926303470_TimingCoverseal3.thumb.JPG.79691d9ad8a29931db4d8201ae7cefcd.JPG561281184_TimingCoverseal4.thumb.JPG.98504f5f6a28d2fdf7ab861236e00d09.JPG

480357069_FanHub1.thumb.JPG.eefe91f17a135e148f82eb60fc3d97c8.JPG585952572_FanHub2.thumb.JPG.3f13585ff021809fec201285b3bcdac9.JPG

• Like 2