1907???

West Peterson

Hi All,

As I am still in search of the elusive cigar, I have been asking our contributing experts to the SVVS Help Pages as to what this may be, if not an Argyll to which it is in many ways very similar. Argyll experimented with shapes of radiators in the early days, going quite unrecognisably different. The shape did stabilise later on, as did variations in radiator badges.

Our veterans expert Ariejan Bos has suggested that it is a cca 1907 Pullman Touring car made by the York Motor Car Co, York, PA, USA. Not many photos of early Pullman show the radiator and the front in any detail, although quite a few advertisements show the car side on. Examination in detail of the Pullman and the enquiry photo, show one strong pointer in common. The Pullman bonnet hinge is composed of a number of quite wide hinge sections rather than one continuous hinge. Another item is the drag link but it is very difficult to determine if it was in front or behind the axle. On the photo it seems to be forward, like the Argyll. The radiator filler cap is taller but seems different shape on different Pullman photos. It is also difficult to say if Pullman cars had louvers in the bonnet. The picture shows mudguards with a lip. Most Pullman photos show plain swept wings.

Notwithstanding,  I tend to agree with Ariejan that it probably is a Pullman. It would be interesting however to see other examples of Pullman fronts and radiator badges.

Regards

Vintman  (UK)
www.svvs.org