Buick Emblem holder restoration

Hubert_25-25

Has anyone successfully removed a soldered on emblem without damaging it, or do I need to just try to do a better job of taping the emblem to protect it from the white sand blasting that I want to do to clean up the metal bracket?  Should I just scrape off close to the emblem, apply a rust neutralizer near the emblem, cover the emblem with tape , and then blast the surrounding metal?  If I could safely remove the emblem, that would allow me to paint the metal.  The other option is to find a good tape that is thinner than duct tape and will hold up to the blasting process.  The emblem is difficult to tape due to the lettering that extend past the rectangular emblem.  I have scraped around the emblem with a razor blade.    Thank you,   Hugh

IMG_6688.thumb.JPG.b3c73df328ab2929f440fe31aa0e855d.JPG

IMG_6690.thumb.JPG.dbe6d81a41bf6aad64731028400b2510.JPG

No problem to remove it with "gasol" or other way to heat the soldering upp.You can then buy a new emblem  from Bob:s ,cut off the skrew  off and made a brass plate that looks close to the other ones and  and solder it togeter again.

An easy job for you to do Hugh,you have probebly to do the same job on your radiator emblem. I have done it 10 times without any problem.

Leif in Sweden

• Like 3

I'm with Leif I do not think heat from the torch will damage the glass emblem.  I've unsoldered a few of them without issue.  Using modern adhesives I would glue the emblem back on after painting the backing plate.

Good luck, Gary 

• Like 1

Thanks for all the help.  I did get the emblem removed.  Two assumptions that I made incorrectly.  I also thought that it was a lot of solder to heat up, and that I would end up putting a lot of heat into the emblem.  The emblem has a cup washer attached to it, and that is what is soldered to the bracket.  I held the part up on a couple scrap pieces of wood, with a rag underneath to catch the emblem.  I applied a little pressure with a screwdriver and heated in multiple places on the solder area with a solder iron around the outside edge.  A small propane torch may have been a little quicker, but I am really glad to have this removed so that I can work on the bracket.   Hugh

IMG_6691.thumb.JPG.07be02dc3aceca5c30127124b7e38909.JPGIMG_6701.thumb.JPG.5aac4898739942b57c853a0248463dc9.JPG

• Like 2