35 Buck rear bumper filler panel

Buick35

On my 35 Buick 41 series trunk back sedan, is there supposed to be a metal panel between the back of the rear bumper and the rear of the car? Just wondering as my chromed bumpered MGB has a somewhat similar looking bumper and has filler plates on either end. Thanks. Greg.

Greg,

Section 7.833 of my Buick Master Parts book lists a number of different rear bumper gravel deflectors for the 1935 Buick.  For series 40 it lists a right, left, and center.  So it may be in three pieces.  I've attached a picture of the one for my 1936 41 trunk back sedan. It's installed upside down in this picture according to other folks on this forum.  I've since painted it and installed the correct way.  I can get you pictures tomorrow if you like.

Hope this helps, Greg

20170802_145632.jpg

9 hours ago, groselle said:

Greg,

Section 7.833 of my Buick Master Parts book lists a number of different rear bumper gravel deflectors for the 1935 Buick.  For series 40 it lists a right, left, and center.  So it may be in three pieces.  I've attached a picture of the one for my 1936 41 trunk back sedan. It's installed upside down in this picture according to other folks on this forum.  I've since painted it and installed the correct way.  I can get you pictures tomorrow if you like.

Hope this helps, Greg

Greg, I have one of these gravel deflectors that came with my `36 coupe, I`ve only seen a few on `36s and they`ve all been mounted as your picture, which seems the correct way to me. If mounted on the bottom, deflector is flipped and all the mount tabs will be visable, which just don`t seem right to me. I`d like to see some more pictures of yours. My deflector may be for a sedan instead of a coupe. Tom

17 minutes ago, pont35cpe said:

Greg, I have one of these gravel deflectors that came with my `36 coupe, I`ve only seen a few on `36s and they`ve all been mounted as your picture, which seems the correct way to me. If mounted on the bottom, deflector is flipped and all the mount tabs will be visable, which just don`t seem right to me. I`d like to see some more pictures of yours. My deflector may be for a sedan instead of a coupe. Tom

Also here is another `36 with deflector.image.thumb.png.51e4c760190d9952f9f40f3c20f19428.png

Pont35cpe:   Nice sedan.  I just became a ‘35’  58 series owner.   With my ‘38’  46s basically done,  I needed to get a new project.    I have always liked the lines of the  ‘34 or 35’ Buick.   The Vicky  (58 series) has always turned my head.     But the Buick engine design people need to be - -  well,  forced to drive it and try to repair it till  they died.   What a design - just to try something else - I think.   The ‘35’ - 41 sedans with the  series 40 engine that made more horse power on basically the same displacement was the winner.  To become the  very popular 243 engine.  Then all the way to the 263 engine.  

6A1BCE90-1F78-4FD9-B56E-29F94EDBC6C8.jpeg

9 minutes ago, Jim Nelson said:

Pont35cpe:   Nice sedan.  I just became a ‘35’  58 series owner.   With my ‘38’  46s basically done,  I needed to get a new project.    I have always liked the lines of the  ‘34 or 35’ Buick.   The Vicky  (58 series) has always turned my head.     But the Buick engine design people need to be - -  well,  forced to drive it and try to repair it till  they died.   What a design - just to try something else - I think.   The ‘35’ - 41 sedans with the  series 40 engine that made more horse power on basically the same displacement was the winner.  To become the  very popular 243 engine.  Then all the way to the 263 engine.  

6A1BCE90-1F78-4FD9-B56E-29F94EDBC6C8.jpeg

Jim, The sedan is not my car, i was just showing "groselle" what I thought is the correct way to mount the `36 Buick rear bumper gravel deflector. Like you I`m a coupe kinda guy. Didn`t mean to hijack "Buick35" original post asking about a `35 Buick rear deflector. My brother has a `34 Buick 50 series coupe stored away, I know it dosen`t have the deflector. Also congrats on your purchase, I`ve read some of your posts concerning Lloyd Young and your two coupes one of which you just sold. Tom

Here's a few more pictures of my gravel deflector after I painted it.  Based on a comment from a year ago I installed it at the bottom of the bumper.  I have never like this orientation.  Based on an image in the Master Parts book (attached below) I think it should be reversed.  I'm also posting a picture of the listing in the parts book.  It makes no distinction among the various body types for the 1935 Series 40 cars.

groselle Greg

20180812_171347.jpg

20180812_171342.jpg

20180812_171247.jpg

20180812_171233.jpg

20180812_171055.jpg

20180812_171017.jpg