63 Suction Throttling Valve

Turbinator

• 1 month later...
On 7/26/2018 at 7:47 AM, 1965rivgs said:

Bob,

Havnt done AC work on a `63 in years and about 2 or 3 years since doing a `65. I`m very surprised the stated capacity of the `63 and `65 systems is different! Without checking the parts books and as far as I know, the major components of the refirgeration system on each model are the same or at least the same size, so why the capacities are different is a puzzle to me.

Having stated the above I seem to recall some early `63`s were built without the AC muffler next to the compressor? My memory is fuzzy regarding said change and I dont currently have access to the service bulletins so perhaps a clue as to a change might be found there? Dont know if yours has the AC muffler or not?

If you use R12, probably best to use the sight glass to be sure the system is full. There needs to be a solid column of refrigerant available at the expansion valve for proper evaluation of the valve.

Great that you have the original compressor with the metal info tag. That is an awesome eng detail item,

Tom

Tom, since we last corresponded I've replaced all the components in the AC system in my 63 Riviera with exception of the vacuum modulator AND condenser. When I say replaced with new I mean new hoses as well. It was a job for me to remove the TXV and evaporator AND replace the new components in the cabinet and get the AC hoses connected properly. I put a newly rebuilt STV, all the vacuum actuators are new. I rinsed the the ALMA compressor with mineral oil until the oil drained clear, real clear. I replaced the mineral oil in the compressor for R12 carefully measured in ml to equal 10.5 oz. At this juncture I'm sorry to report the system does I put together will not hold a vacuum. Ive got a big leak some place. I was going to put compressed air in the system and check for leaks but I didn't have the connecting hardware to get the air from the compressor in to the gauge hose set. I wanted to use dry nitrogen, but since I'm having a shop I'm pretty sure I can depend on to fill the system with R12 I'm just going to let them find the leak(s). I questioned the shop mechanic how he knew if the R12 his supplier was giving him was really R12. The shop mechanic said we always test the refrigerant we buy to make sure it is what the supplier says it is. Since I've replaced everything but the items I mentioned I'm in hopes of getting cold air in time for Halloween here in Maryland.

After 3 seasons of hassle with this AC this is no time to stop working until I get the cold air. If I have to work until it blows cold air and there is snow on the ground that will be ok with me.

RRB

• 4 weeks later...

Gents, does anyone know of a method for testing an STV for functionality before installing the part? I've had a devil of a time with the STV's I've had rebuilt with the piston sticking. One builder said once the piston sticks the STV has a tendency to continue to stick.

If there is an STV testing method please advise and thank you.

Red Riviera Bob

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/28/2018 at 7:17 AM, Chasander said:

Keep us informed as I see this in my future.

What I’ve learned on my second go round is connect all the hose fittings on the evaporator box on the bench. THEN, thread the hoses through the  firewall. Slide on the grommet. Connect the hoses under the hood. Let me qualify: this is the approach I’ll take the second time. The first time I had a leak as a result of crushing the green silicone o rings because I tightened the too tight. I have to take everything down and start over. Flush, drain and rinse the compressor, put on new o rings, and put it back together. I’ll pressurize the system up to 140 with dry nitrogen and hopefully it will hold.

RRB

17 hours ago, flh73 said:

RRB,

I'm feeling for you man.  One part at a time.   So the fittings have to be torqued not just tight?

Gary

Gary, I don’t know if they have to be torqued. I have never come across a torque spec. What I do know is to make sure the O rings are fresh and not dry rotted from sitting on a shelf/rack. Another thing is the O ring cannot be cut/knicked or scratched. Put some mineral oil ( or the type you put in your compressor) on the O ring before you slide them on the fitting. They have to be tight like a plumbing connection, but not so tight you crush the O ring. Gary, I’m going by what the highly experienced tech advisors from the Riviera Owners Association wrote/told me. My success has yet to come. “ Yard by yard it is hard, inch by inch it is a cinch”.

RRB

On 7/26/2018 at 12:47 PM, 60FlatTop said:

The muffler smooths out the pulses from the compressor pistons running on the nutating disc drive, 6 of them.

The sight glass shows bubbles to indicate a low charge due to refrigerant flashing off at a slight restriction. The sight glass is always installed downstream of the filter.drier to also indicate a restriction in that device. I see it was changed, but there is a possibility it may be causing the bubbles. My background is not in automotive refrigeration, more heavy commercial. I once had a mechanic tell me when the bubbles cleared his head pressure was too high. When he released some charge the head pressure was OK but the bubbles came back. I asked "Why is the sight glass downstream or the filter.drier?" He changed the filter/drier and things worked fine. That may not be your specific problem, but that is the systemic approach needed to diagnose it.

On the documented differences in refrigerant charges in the early 1960's of a pound or so, that was a transitional period between a fixed orifice, flooded evaporator system and the TXV control, which would probably account for the differences. A data sheet would not necessarily indicate which system was installed.

I can see where the frustration can build. Went I bought my car there was no compressor installed. Living up here in the frozen wilds of western New York, the 40 years haven't provided any urgency for me to look into the AC. I saved a compressor from a Cadillac I parted out 25 years ago, but it hung around the garage so long I threw it out. We just had 5 or 6 hot days and I noticed the hardware store just put out a display of snow shovels this week. No motivation, I just drove the truck on the hot days.

Bob, don't worry about the sanity. This is the kind of stuff that makes sound minds and extends lives.

Bernie

Bernie, I’m late thanking you for the purpose of the AC muffler on my 63 Riviera. Some folks mentioned the AC muffler doesn’t do anything. My response is, “ would you care to speculate why Buick thought the AC muffler would have a purpose?” Now I have to look up “ nutating”. I don’t mind.

RRB