Help identifying this Peerless Coupe

The body style is more properly called a roadster with a folding top and side curtains. A coupe would have a permanent, non-folding top and roll-down windows.

Either way it's a rare and nice-looking car. Thanks for posting it.

Don

1 hour ago, DLynskey said:

The body style is more properly called a roadster with a folding top and side curtains. A coupe would have a permanent, non-folding top and roll-down windows.

Either way it's a rare and nice-looking car. Thanks for posting it.

Don

Oops....I forgot to point that out. Thanks.

On 6/29/2018 at 8:54 AM, keiser31 said:

Looks to be a 1923 Model 66 to me.

1923 Peerless 66.jpg

Keiser31 has made a good I.D. of it being an early 20s Peerless. The one in this photo is a '23 Model 66, the one Bill Knight brought to the Gathering at Gilmore in 2013. The same radiator shell was used on the 1923 and 1924 Model 66 V-8s; and the 1924 and first-3-months-of-1925 Model 6-70 Collins/Cadillac/Peerless sixes. The V-8 Peerlesses had all-plated headlights, while the Mod. 6-70s just had plated headlight rims...and for some reason the '24 Peerless Mod. 66s  weren't offered as a roadster...so in my opinion we have a '24 Mod. 6-70.

Engine Company 16 of the Washington, D.C. Fire Department had a 1926 Peerless Roadster for a Fire Chief's Car in 1931.

Edited by jeff_a
corrected to 1924 Mod. 6-70 (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

Hello Keith in Chicago,

I must have been in a hurry when I wrote that, concluding that the Peerless Roadster was a Mod. 66. To continue  the reasoning of "no Mod. 66 in '24"...I think the car is a Mod. Six-70, new for 1924 and $2,235 with an aluminum 289 six engineered by Cadillac. Great photos! It's actually the same model/body style used in my profile picture. I'll correct my last post.

Generally, the V-8 Mod. 66 cars have a drum headlight, smooth from front to back, nickel-plated. The I-6 Mod. 6-70 should have a headlight with a raised rim from front to back on the main body of the unit, plated on the rim only. This Chicago Fire Patrol Roadster is an exception, showing the whole headlight plated, which threw me off a little. The forward portion of the unit is raised, which is correct for the 6-70 headlight. Other differences:

___________________6-70(1924-early 25)________66(1923-24 model years)

Exhaust: ...........single, r.s....................................dual

Cost:...............$2,235-3,295........................$2,690-4,090

C.I.D.: ...................289.........................................322

H.P.: ...............about the same (70 or 80)

Rad Shell:............the same

Now you are supposed to say you still have the Peerless in one of your stations...which would make it 1 of 4 surviving [2,786 built] of the Model Six-70 cars.

Jefferson M. Brown, Peerless historian

post-49853-143143086985_thumb.jpg

1924 Peerless Model Six-70 Roadster

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

Chicago Fire Patrol,

Those pictures you sent of the Peerless that used to be in one of your Companies in 1924 are outstanding. It's the best documentation of what a 1924 Peerless 6-70 Roadster looked like I've seen, since none appear to have survived. I updated both posts I wrote in reply to your query....since I made some mistakes.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)