1938 RC Fan belt size? Napa# ???

John Dunn

Took an old fan belt that was on a donor engine into the NAPA store to get a replacement. The old belt seemed too narrow and bottoms out in pulleys. Their computer called for a 3/8" belt which was narrower yet. Seems like belt should be almost 5/8" wide to fit pulleys properly? I see Roberts stocks a "thin" and "thick" belt. Can someone tell me size or any common part store belt that will fit late 30s Mopar? Thanks! 

Try at Gates:  https://www.gates.com/us/en/ymm/search/landing/interchange

I went in at Vehicle Parts Search, asked for light truck, Dodge, 1939 because 1938 does not come up, and was offered two engine choices: 201 and 218. Is that any help?

You will need to measure the length of the belt you have - outside and inside length - although they seem to specify the OL as well as give an effective length which might be an average. This one comes up for the 201 c.i. engine:

https://www.gates.com/ymm/search/part/details?part-number=TR24476

as does this one (which appears to be the same width but longer:  https://www.gates.com/ymm/search/part/details?part-number=TR24489

• 1 month later...

If it helps anyone-- bought the cheapest B-45 belt on eBay, less than $7 to my door, found it a bit short but worked if I dismounted generator to position it, just couldn't stretch belt over pulley in mounted position. Ordered B-47 and it left me at outer end of adjusting slot. $7 delivered B-46 works perfectly and is likely what the repo guys sell for $20+.

According to my Gates 1911-1980 book, '39 trucks used 2 different belts.  48 1/8 in long( no.7480) or 48-3/8in. long(no.152gs green stripe).Prior to '38 is not listed. Now, all Dodge 6 cylinder car engines from '33-'40 use a no.44gs belt which might also fit. If you can get someone to cross these numbers just match it up to the old one. Good hunting! Watch out for buying just any belt as widths and tapers vary depending on the prefixes and the numbers. Some industrial belts will work but it's important that the fit the pulley correctly. Length differences can usually be taken up by adjustment of the generator.

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

The B-46 (which is a 5/8" wide 49" belt) fits and works perfect! It leaves me about centered in adjustment slot. I'm driving it and not looking for anymore belts. The application listings at NAPA only seem to offer 3/8" wide belts which is way too skinny and bottoms on the bottom surface of pulley groove. The B45 is 48" and B47 is 50" so may work in some cases. Roberts repo MoPar catalog shows a "thin" and "thick" belt, I'm guessing his "thick" belt is the same as my B-46 from eBay.

image.jpeg

My generator was stolen, along with many other engine parts, when this truck was stored behind my rented out Lexington / Circle Pines MN house back about 1984. I would like my parts back and will pay reward if anyone happens to know what ever became of them. Maybe someone is feeling guilty? and no longer needs them?  I found replacements and have several period MoPar generators. One has a little different spacing between mount hole and adjustment lock hole on front end of generator, not sure if the one I used is exactly the same as the original or not. That could explain why your book shows 2 different lengths maybe???

My starter and its related pedal and fitting from floor boards was also stolen in 84. I'm using a starter & pedal from a 41 Plymouth but fit is NOT correct. I could use the bolted in piece with spring loaded plunger for starter from a 38 truck if anyone has a spare. As I remember--- the original plunger / starter pedal mated to a clevis type hole in starter engagement arm? With a pin, Instead of the round flat pad pushing against end of arm on the 41 Plymouth parts I had to use. 

image.thumb.jpeg.e55ef6f5c8b8b898ea59b884a8a445dd.jpeg

A "B" belt is an industrial 1/2 in. wide belt. They do have a little different taper than the automotive belts. I would see if NAPA could cross those Gates numbers. You might even find someone that still carries Gates products. Since the free trade acts, many of these American companies went belly up or converted all to offshore products.

Edited by jpage (see edit history)

2 hours ago, Surf City '38 said:

I believe this is what you are looking for....from my '38 RC prior to refurbishment...

IMG_2977.JPG

Yes, that's it exactly. The one I'm using is a triangular 3 bolt mounting that I have sort of 2 bolted in a position to function. Looks all wrong but I've not modified firewall so if I can find this piece I can make things right. Guess I need the starter arm too! I see your # and may give a call to swap notes.