Steering Stationary bracket detail 1925-27 Standard

Hubert_25-25

These photos are of the stationary hub on my 1925 Buick Standard steering wheel.  Included are also photos from the book of parts regarding how much of this bracket is polished aluminum and how much is black.  The parts book pictures are 1925 thru 1927 Buick standard.   Mine is all black, but it appears from the parts book that this hub should be "mostly black" and the ring is a polished section of the aluminum casting.  My paint looks original, but a lot of years have passed and who knows what has been touched up over time.   Are there others that have this ring of polished aluminum showing on their steering wheel stationary hub?    Thank you,   Hugh

1575338240_steeringstationarybracketfromPPT.JPG.0b622bef719e6566f97f4941a97fd3b7.JPG

1107007995_IMG_6182throttleswitchespartblack.JPG.cf71865b7b627487273734361150000d.JPG

Hugh:

This is what I did with mine as I emailed you.  Make sure all the flat surfaces are cleaned bright as that is the return ground for the horn .       

DSCF6665.JPG

As I told you on the phone my wheel came from another car as there were extra holes on the underside for me to patch. I see by Leif's photo the original wheel has finger grips.

DSCF6666.JPG

Edited by dibarlaw (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Leif and Larry, 

Thanks for the great photos.  I think that ring of polished aluminum on the stationary hub looks nice.  I have some work ahead of me, and my steering wheel is bare wood so I need to add a little filler and clean it up as well. 

Hugh 

I polished both pieces and left them that way. Spider too!

I'm almost positive that is the way McLaughlin did it. ( I triple dog dare anyone to prove me wrong)

If you do the same , your car will almost be as nice as a McLaughlin?

Brad

• Like 1