1941 Buick Super Parts Wanted

JJCarter

Hello,

I'm looking for a few parts for my 1941 Super 50 and can't find them on eBay or local. Can anyone help with them or guide me to another place to check for them I may be missing. I also tried some of the catalog companies like Cars, Antique Auto Parts and Kanters.

Here's what I'm looking for.

1. Spark Plug Wire: A single one. The one that goes to the coil. I got a wire kit but it was missing the coil wire and connectors. It's a black gloss 7mm wire with brass connectors.

2. Heater lines. Actually, more of a question. I'm looking for the bottom heater tubes. The ones that are in there now are hard as a rock. I'm not sure if they are metal tubes covered in rubber or just really old. If they are just hard as a rock due to age, I can get the rubber tube at Napa. If they are a special material or metal, not sure where they would come from.

3. PVC valve. The top of the valve cover has a hole for one. And of course this car didn't come with one, so I don't know a part number or what all will work with it. I just know they were introduced in this year of the car and did for a couple years.

4. PVC tube to the air cleaner. It appears to be an "L" shape made of hard plastic. I don't have one at all so I can only go by what I see in pictures.

5. Carpet set (Tan or Brown) front and rear. Not looking for show quality, just something to lay down as there is nothing there now. New or used.

6. Seat Covers. Tan or Brown. The seats were redone about 20 years ago. Nice and firm, but the last guy let his cat sleep on the back window/seat top and it ripped it up. Wondering if anyone makes seat covered to through over these.

7. Trunk spare tire pan. As most, mine is rusted through.

8. Fender. Passenger side rear inner and outer. Again, don't need a show car, just something solid. New or used would be fine.

9. Fresh Air Vent Tube or duct that runs from the front of the car to the heater. Again, I don't have one in the this car and can only go by what I see in pictures.

If anyone can help with this parts list, help ID some of the items, and or let me know where I might find them, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks!

JJ Carter,

I have a lot of parts for your 1941 Super. the ones you are asking for above you might want to try Bob's Automobilia in Atascadero CA. They should have almost everything you need. Tell them Richard Mann sent you for brownie points. The heater hose you ask about can be purchased at any auto store, just rubber hose will do. Have a rear fender, but have someone that has a reserve on it, so check back with me in about a week. Number 9 is very hard to find in original form, but again a piece of rubber hose will do until you find one. There are rubber grommets that are supposed to be used on the valve cover and the air cleaner, but you won't need those till you or I find a METAL tube for you. Let me know if I can be of any more help?  

Thanks 1941Buicknut. These are some good leads and info. I'm definitely interested in the fender. Let me know if that doesn't sell.

As for that breather tube in the valve cover, I understand that it was a formed piece of pipe. Was it metal or plastic? Also, do yo know the dimension of it? And, is there a PVC value in there at the base that plugs into the valve cover? If so, do you have a part number for it?

JJ. Sorry I do not know the part number. It was metal with a slight lip at each end to help hold it in the rubber grommet in both the valve cover and the air cleaner. some cars I believe that did not have the tube between the valve cover and the air cleaner had a PVC type device where you describe it. Love to see some pictures of your car if you care to send them to me. Thank you

JJ the breather tube is metal.   There are two different tubes that were used, depending upon the carburation.   The dual carb tube is shorter than the standard single carb setup.   I can take a picture if you can tell me what you have.

• 4 weeks later...

BTW, here is a picture of the work in progress. The top end of the motor was rebuilt as well as the carbs and it's running pretty good. Doing a little to it each week with cleaning it up and fine tuning.

I'm also missing the fresh air tube and nipple that attaches to the firewall. If anyone has that for sale, or a picture of what it's supposed to look like that would be great too.

IMG_3028.jpg

• 2 months later...

I have a lot of good used, driver-quality or excellent-to-replate chrome that came from my 59,000 mile car, that I've just finished.  Three boxes plus of parts that I could put in the back of my Suburban and take to Hershey.  The car was finished too late for me to think about getting a flea market space.  There is also a little bit of '39 stuff, a pair of fender lights with lenses in particular.   I plan to list this stuff on eBay this winter sometime, but I am considering taking the Suburban up there instead of my car.

• 2 months later...

JJ,

May have found a source for the tube from the valve cover to the air cleaner. Do you still need one? Just about to receive some hand made stainless steel moldings for the Super/Roadmaster and Special/Century for the skirts bottoms and the curved pieces that attach to the rubber gravel guards. Oh, also should have rubber guard moldings for the Limited as well. Let me know what you may need and what you may have to trade? Thank you

For the valve cover to the air cleaner tube - you can bend a piece of copper tubing and install gourmets in the air cleaner and valve cover.

For Upholstery - LeBaron Bonney (they should have a full interior kit and on the cheap they should have a generic seat cover too

Front floor mat is rubber with a carpet insert - Bobs Automobilia would be my starting place (a call if not in the catalog). 

Spark Plug Wire - www.brillman.com

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)

On 9/26/2018 at 11:51 PM, 1941Buicknut said:

Hello,

Don't know if you found a tube yet? If you put a rubber grommet into the hole in the valve cover and do the same with the air cleaner, then put a rubber tube into the grommet holes, that should work till you find the real thing. Need anything else?

Thank, thats pretty much what i had to do. 

On 12/11/2018 at 12:53 AM, 1941Buicknut said:

JJ,

May have found a source for the tube from the valve cover to the air cleaner. Do you still need one? Just about to receive some hand made stainless steel moldings for the Super/Roadmaster and Special/Century for the skirts bottoms and the curved pieces that attach to the rubber gravel guards. Oh, also should have rubber guard moldings for the Limited as well. Let me know what you may need and what you may have to trade? Thank you

If you have a parts list with prices I'd be interested.

42 minutes ago, John_Mereness said:

For the value cover to the air cleaner tube - you can bend a piece of copper tubing and install gourmets in the air cleaner and valve cover.

For Upholstery - LeBaron Bonney (they should have a full interior kit and on the cheap they should have a generic seat cover too

Front floor mat is rubber with a carpet insert - Bobs Automobilia would be my starting place (a call if not in the catalog). 

Spark Plug Wire - www.brillman.com

Thanks. I got a homemade tube going that doesn't look too bad and knew about the other places. Buying when I can. This all adds up after time thats for sure. ha