1989 SOHC running poorly

This car has less than 9000 miles on it. Starts and runs fine in the driveway but when I drive down the street it seems to starve for gas. I replaced the fuel filter but did not help. If I slowly give it gas it will rev up as usual but as soon as I try to step on the throttle harder it sounds like it will die out but never does. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks...Bill

4 hours ago, 4 Peaks said:

Did you check the fuel pressure?

Without a proper fuel pressure testing equipment, that is not easy.

An 89 with only 9,000 miles on the odometer tells me that the fuel pump is badly corroded. You will likely need the tank and everything in it replaced. 

I had a customer last year with 16,000 miles on an 89 who had that very same problem. A clean replacement tank and new pump and sending unit corrected that problem, but her problems were far from resolved.

A car with such low miles is in much worse condition than an 89 with over 285,000 miles showing on the odometer, and there are plenty of people who know me and my 89 TC who will verify that claim.

I bought an 89 SOHC  2-1/2 years ago with 9,600 miles on it.  I had similar problems with stumble on acceleration.  I cleaned the throttle body, replaced the air filter and replaced plugs and wires and used Sea Foam in the first couple tanks of gas.  It now has 11,600 miles and runs fine.  Hemi's comment about a low mileage car's condition is right on target.  I have replaced the struts, all of the brake hoses, flushed the brake system,  replaced the hood, storage compartment, tonneau cover and trunk lift supports,  replaced the top pull-down gears and I am sure there is more that I can't think of.  BUT it is one of the few with pristine seats, carpets and top. This Forum has been invaluable!

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 4:52 PM, Bill Sorensen said:

This car has less than 9000 miles on it. Starts and runs fine in the driveway but when I drive down the street it seems to starve for gas. I replaced the fuel filter but did not help. If I slowly give it gas it will rev up as usual but as soon as I try to step on the throttle harder it sounds like it will die out but never does. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks...Bill

Thanks everyone for your suggestions and great info. This car belongs to a good friend of mine that bought it new and he asks me to help him keep it running. I replaced the tank and fuel pump probably 5 years ago and then it has sat ever since probably adding only 50 or so miles on it. I asked him if he starts it regularly and he said he did and added a gallon or so of gasoline once and awhile when he did. It has

about a half tank in it now and so I am wondering if stale gas could cause the problem? If so how can I get the old gas out without anymore work than necessary? I am not lazy it is just time that I don't have!! Thanks again...Bill