Define types of vacuum hoses

royboy47

Somewhere on this site I saw a vacuum diagram for a 55-56 and it specified "wide angle vacuum hose" and "corrugated vacuum hose". Could someone explain as I am attempting to hock up me wipers? Thanks for the help.

Right click on the image to save to your computer!

Wide angle vacuum hose is for Buicks with Cam-o-Matic wipers only and is supposed to change the angle of sweep from narrow and fast to wide and moderate speed. The corrugated hose was the vacuum on/off signal to the motor. The wide angle, corrugated, co-ordinator, washer control hose and discharge hoses are all the same size, I believe 1/8"? The rest if the system is all one size as well, I believe 1/4" hose. All hoses, except the corrugated hose, are readily available at any supply house that carries vacuum hose by the foot. If you find a supplier for the corrugated hose that isn't NOS, let us know.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Usually only the exposed ends of vacuum hoses are dried and cracked. Get back 8" or so from the ends and even the hose in the engine compartment looks good. I have cut the exposed bad ends off and found a hidden place in the arch of the fender well or other hidden place to splice in extensions with butt connectors and fresh hose. You can get a good fit even with the new metric O. D. hose.

Some hoses are molded in groups. '50's Cadillac have four molded together in the engine compartment. You can retain that using four hidden splices.

My '64 Riviera has all supple color coded vacuum hole exposed. I remove multiple 4' sections from under the dash of a '69 Cadillac I parted out. It worked well enough to make me happy.

Bernie

The corrugated hose referred to within the layout diagram above is missing in my car - that hose is actually missing. I assume it was corrugated to avoid any pinching / collapse of the hose. I guess I could use ordinary hose and see what happens - thoughts by anyone?