1940 or 1941 jack handle/lug wrench

Jimmy D

Looking to buy the jack handle/lug wrench noted in the picture attachment.  Years 1940 or 1941.  Also looking for steering column jacket (new or used) for series 50, 1941 model 56C. This is the rubber jacket that slides over the steering column and is placed near the bottom of the cowl by the floor. Currently do not have a picture of this item.

lug wrench Buick.jpg

lug wrench 2.jpg

Jimmy,

I have been looking for the steering column floor plate for my car also. Steele Rubber sell one, but the plate for the '40 Super does not look right at all. They list it as a plate for the 40, 50 series (different bodies). I have given up and will try create one myself.

Mike 

2 hours ago, kingrudy said:

Jimmy, 

Is there another part that goes with the lug wrench, wheel stand and jack?

Thanks,

Mike 

Jimmy, 

Is there another part that goes with the lug wrench, wheel stand and jack?

Thanks,

Mike  

Yes, it part of the jack set. I have all the other pieces except this handle/wrench.

Jimmy,

I have been looking for the steering column floor plate for my car also. Steele Rubber sell one, but the plate for the '40 Super does not look right at all. They list it as a plate for the 40, 50 series (different bodies). I have given up and will try create one myself.

Mike 

Hi Mike:

Good luck on making one. Let me how it turns out..  I can't even find a used one.  My is so brittle that it broke in three places and is in-repairable.

Regards,

Jimmy D

Hi Jimmy,

I had my steering column replaced and the shop threw the plate away as it had to be cut to get the column out. I asked Doug Seybold about this and he said that he could make one, but I thought that I would give it a try myself first.

Good Luck and if you come up with something please let me know and I will do the same.

Mike 

This is the part you are looking for.  It is a vulcanized steel sheet that is typically cut when someone wants to remove the steering column.  To replace it, swap it or install a new one, you will need to loosen the steering column from the frame and the dash panel.  You will also need to remove the steering column turn signal housing.  There is also a piece of insulation glued to the back side of this plate as well and it is pressed up against the floor board, attached with two screws.  I am getting my stone guards and steering column seal re-vulcanized by a guy that does running boards.  He has the patterns and ability to fabricate new seals.  I've looked in the shop and body manual for the Buick name for this part and cannot find it.

IMG_6418.JPG

Hi, thanks for the info. You mentioned that the person you use can re-produce the floor board plate (steering column jacket or seal), could you forward his name and phone number? I would like to contact him about making one for me. My seal is very brittle and is in three broken pieces, un-repairable. Please let me know. Thanks, Jim.