59 wiring questions

59electra

I have installed a one wire alternator on my 59. Do i run a wire from alternator directly to battery?

What do i do with the generator wires? (red yellow white) here is a picture. Also what to do with external regulator.

Is any of this tied to the push to start?

Thanks

IMG_3539.JPG

IMG_3540.JPG

You can run the alternator output to the wire connected to the BAT terminal on the regulator.   Yes, the accelerator pedal actuated starter will not work without the generator. There has been much discussion on this forum on this topic to get this system to work with an alternator.   You should disconnect the other wires from the regulator.  

There are some others here who have dealt with the accelerator pedal start system with an alternator and they may chime in at some point.

Joe, BCA 33493

Disconnect what appears to be the white and pink wires from the voltage regulator, since they are hanging loose where the generator used to be. Where does the green wire go? I guess the dashboard light to indicate the circuit is not charging (original system). Without hooking this wire up to the new alternator, you will never know the new system is not charging. 

The one trouble with a "one wire" alternator is there is no light to indicate what's happening. An ammeter will work fine, but usually too undersized for any alternator.

The green wire goes to the starter switch. It's grounded through the generator armature, and the circuit is opened when the generator starts charging so it cannot be tripped. The green wire must therefor be grounded somewhere.

Attach the white wire to the output terminal on the alternator, and on the voltage regulator side move the white wire to the BAT terminal (red wire) so your amp gauge/charge indicator still works (not sure on this one as I don't have a wiring diagram, but that's how it is on 56 and the wires are color coded the same as yours). As above, the green wire must be isolated from the white wire to function. If you want the alternator to charge imediately on startup rather than reaching a peak RPM, buy a two spade terminal connector for the alternator. Attach the red lead to the alternator output terminal and the white wire goes to a switched ignition source with a diode in line. You could also theoretically open the alternator and tap into one of the field output lines to run your starter switch, so it opens the circuit when charging. A diode is also required here.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Beemon said:

The green wire goes to the starter switch. It's grounded through the generator armature, and the circuit is opened when the generator starts charging so it cannot be tripped. The green wire must therefor be grounded somewhere.

That is one of 2 safety features that keep the starter from activating after running...the other is the vacuum switch on the carb:  engine vacuum keep it from activating, but it can malfunction sometimes at low engine vacuum like  WOT.

• Like 3

1:    I ran a new 8 gauge wire from alternator to battery. (It is a # 7294 powermaster alternator with optional 2 prong plug.)
are these next steps?
2:    Ground the green wire coming out of the regulator (Gen) post.
3:    Disconnect white(gen) and pink (field) from the regulator. (The yellow wire looks to be grounded to outside of regulator box.just remove?)
4:   is the Bat terminal on the regulator the charge indicator ?  If so, can i unplug the black plug from the alternator and run a wire from number 1 terminal to Bat terminal on regulator? see pic.

Thanks for the help Joseph,Frank,Beemon,Old tank

alt.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know how to convert pedal to starter conversion? I am installing new wiring and ignition. I put on a different intake set up with a 4 barrel carb and an 1 wire alternator. I know how to wire the starter. My guess it that the wire going to the original switch will now go to the ignition not totally sure. Can anyone help?

E6C6C108-D942-45FC-A600-51540B695FDE.jpeg