'54 rear axle seal removal

Summershandy

Boy does the manual make it sound easy. I don't have that funky tool they show the mechanic using but I made up a puller. Threaded rod with a slightly oval washer on the back side of the seal. I cranked the heck out of it and it ain't budging. Is there something I'm missing? I'm assuming that's the seal behind a cupped retainer? 

IMG_6936.JPG

Since this seal will be replaced I would use an awl and punch a small hole in the seal then screw in a sheetmetal screw and pull on that.  Has to be a very tight fit in the hole and punching with an awl is tighter than drilling a hole and no worry about metal chips.  If you have a slide hammer dent puller that can be best of all but I would probably not buy one just for this job

100_5053DETPTAZ.jpg

Well, our local parts place happen to loan tools and had a bearing puller which doubled as a seal puller. Couple whacks and it came right out! First time using one and man did it make life easy. I even ran back and borrowed the seal installer for later. They're pretty pricey but with no restrictions on length of use of even if something breaks, you get your money back.....win win! Oh, and the original seal is part of the cup. Looked leather or material type unlike the the replacement which is rubber and should do just fine. 

• 2 months later...

You will find that the Rear Axle Seals ------ are NO LONGER AVAILABLE through regular channels and auto parts stores.......

Rather than use a chinese - made reproduction, I have some N.O.S. Seals that are still nice and soft and supple.....

Call me -- if you can call the U.S.A. for free -- Craig -- 516 - 485 - 1935 .... West Hempstead, New York....

I CAN call Canada for free -- so if you can't, let me know; I'll dial you....

email me at mobileparts@yahoo.com  .......

• 4 weeks later...

This is unbelievable....I took the car out for her first road test about an hour drive. Parked it overnight with cardboard under it to check for morning leaks. Much to my surprise none.....except for those new rear axle seals. I have oil on the inside of my rims! Grrr......