Looking for parts for a Saginaw 800 power steering gear

KongaMan

I need a couple of parts for a Saginaw PS gear from a 1964 Riviera.  Specifically, I'm looking for the worm shaft thrust bearing and races, and the 22 balls.  It appears that the bearing and races may be standard OTC parts, but I'm having a devil of a time trying to find the balls.

Does anyone know of a source for internal parts that don't come in the standard rebuild kits?

Thanks.

If I might answer my own question: eBay. :D

These balls aren't readily available at a hardware store or the like, as they are unusual sizes (e.g. .28125"),  made to extremely tight tolerances, and require paired bearings that are about .001" different in diameter.

I remember reading somewhere that there were even multiple sizes ( A dozen I believe for the 1956) which makes me wonder how one would determine which size they need if for some reason they did not have them to start with?

17 minutes ago, JohnD1956 said:

I remember reading somewhere that there were even multiple sizes ( A dozen I believe for the 1956) which makes me wonder how one would determine which size they need if for some reason they did not have them to start with?

There were 6 different ball sets, from code 6 to code 11, increasing in size by .0008". The standard size is code 7.   A gearbox using a non-standard size ball would be stamped appropriately on the flat of the rack nut. A box which uses the standard code 7 balls would not be stamped. The determination of the proper size is made by checking the torque required to turn the worm gear: if the reading is too low, use larger balls.

• Like 2

Used to be that the dirt track racers used those gearboxes in their race cars.  I believe there's a rebuilder than can not only build any combination of gear ratios, but very possibly has the items you need.

Personally, I'd be wary of "chrome plated balls" for this application, considering that any plating can become worn and flake off, getting into some very fine-tolerance areas, or stopping in other places along the way.  Perhaps solid stainless steel?  The stamping makes sense as size is very important.

NTX5467