1916 D-45 fenders

Terry Wiegand

Here are some before and after photos of the fenders for my 1916 D-45.  This story starts out slightly over one year ago.  I took the fenders off the car with the idea of getting them straightened out locally and then have them painted.  Bumping metal has almost become a lost art these days.  These things were built using two separate pieces for the rears and three separate pieces for the fronts.  The stiffening rib on the driver rear had some serious problems as the one photo shows.  I hauled these things clear down to Old Mexico hoping that those guys could straighten them out.  They could not do the job the proper way I wanted things done, so, Larry Schramm took them home with him from the Chickasha Swap Meet last year and they ended up in the Port Huron area.  Mike Kleeves and his craftsmen at Automobile Metal Shaping Company in Kimball, Michigan restored them to what you see in the photos.  As Larry has told me - "these guys are beyond craftsmen - they are artists with metal working".  I am absolutely thrilled to pieces with what these guys did with 103 year old automobile sheet metal.  The results speak for themselves.  I am here to tell you guys that this was not bargain basement pricing for what you see, but, these things are going on a Buick for cryin' out loud!  Anything less than perfection would not be acceptable.  Larry Schramm played a huge part in getting these things done for me and I am very grateful to him for that.  If anyone has any questions about this process, please feel free to contact me through private messaging.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

P2150204.JPG

P2150207.JPG

P2190208.JPG

P3170314.JPG

P3170315.JPG

P3170316.JPG

P3170317.JPG

P3170318.JPG

• Like 8

• 2 years later...

bj,

I will get the contact information to you as soon as I can.  You asked if it was reasonable.  Considering the hours that they had in with these fenders and what they did, I will not grouch about the cost.  I tend to look at it this way - they are better than what left the factory on the car.  That old saying,  'You Get What You Pay For' is so very true in this situation.  No excuses and nothing to apologize for here.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

bj,

Here is the contact information that you asked about.

Automobile Metal Shaping Company

60 North Airport Drive

Kimball, Michigan

Phone - (810) 364-4244

Fax - (810) 364-4245

Mike Kleeves is the person to speak with.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

Here are a few photos of the fenders after they left the paint shop.  I simply cannot say enough good words about the work that Mike Kleeves and his guys did on all four of the fenders for us.  The one photo shows the bottom side of the one front fender.  They finished it to to look sorta like an undercoated surface.

Terry Wiegand

South Hutchinson, Kansas

P7060502.JPG

P7060503.JPG

P7060505.JPG

P7060508.JPG

• Like 4