Clutch Pedal Adjustment 38 Century

philipj

While going through the shop manual for the car, it mentions a 3/4 to 1" of free pedal travel for the clutch... It appears that the car has 2-1/4" of travel. As you can see from the photos the pedal is over twice that amount... It does mention a lash adjustment screw, which may be visible here also on the bottom left (clearer on the second photo) but not very obvious since none of the threads stick out...If this setup is correct, I will try to adjust to the right specification. The way it is now, you have to physically move the pedal back with your foot to return the pedal to the fully upward position... Lastly, what kind of clip/clamp would originally hold the buffer for the pedal in place? Thank you.

IMG_3903.JPG

IMG_3900.JPG

IMG_3907.JPG

Edited by philipj (see edit history)

I don't have a rubber piece like that on either my 1938 or 1937 Centurys. I have no idea if you have an extra piece of rubber or if both of my cars are missing one. 

If you crawl under the car and look up at the bottom of the clutch pedal I am fairly certain you will see the adjustment screw and its use will become quite obvious to you. You really can't see it from the top side, you have to view it from underneath.

Those rubber parts are available from Steele and they cushion the return of the pedals under the pedal plate.

But don't cut them like the one above.  Believe it or not, they will stretch and slide over the pedal and stay as one piece.

DSC_0316.thumb.jpg.f22e541b99498eb70e8d6818c3775c20.jpg.a975f32c9097cc9d409b4b4f5dab0a7f.jpg

DSC_0318.thumb.jpg.76dab13fb5ed54df78c996096e5fa391.jpg.0e67c65ce295edf77b51a5166c8cb1c2.jpg

• Like 1

As Gary says, the pedal dust seals will go on, use lots of soap and water.  They are difficult to install. 

I bought mine a long time before I installed them. They were a little stiff and broke as I tried to get them on. I had to buy new ones and they were noticably more flexible yet still difficult to install.

It gets better! I just found the other boot uncut with a box of stuff... I also managed to adjust the clutch pedal to get rid of all the sloppiness through 3 points... Pedal return spring, pedal, and large nut near the clutch fork, barely visible on the last photo-opposite rod...

IMG_3921.JPG

IMG_3912.JPG

IMG_3920.JPG

Edited by philipj (see edit history)