1941 engineering

20180227_130619.thumb.jpg.99f3b4401f347f0e35ab967fdf6da5e4.jpgFought my way thru an Ebay auction to obtain this stuff! Upon receiving it I was releived to find it was in fairly good "working?" Order. I would never use something designed like this! What a contrast to the other Buick products Ive owned. One more puzzle peice for the 41 Cent. Done!

Widow Maker and easily the worst most dangerous jack ever made..What genius thought jacking it up on the wheel you need to change was a good idea? So you get a jack stand to solve that problem! Dumb ass design! put it under the rear seat and forget about it.. I carry a small scissors jack that is just perfect and very stable. 

The typical driver of a car is not versed in mechanics/physics and generally only know about gravity in the form of a nut falling from a tree.  There are so many dangers to jacking because the driver (he or she) is:

• In a rush as the flat tire has now delayed him, now they are careless
  • working on the side of a busy road
  • jacking on unstable ground
  • jacking on unlevel ground
  • getting under the car while it is jacked to retrieve the spare

So many variables that are not considered, so many opportunities for a mistake.  That's a great jack Greg, it will look good in the trunk of the right car, and look just as good staying there as you call for roadside service.

• Like 1

Worry not! That jack will never suffer a test on an actual vehicle on my watch! Den41tried to pm but said U couldnt receive for some reason. Right of first refusal on next find is yours sir! Best Regards, Greg

2 hours ago, kgreen said:

The typical driver of a car is not versed in mechanics/physics and generally only know about gravity in the form of a nut falling from a tree.  There are so many dangers to jacking because the driver (he or she) is:

• In a rush as the flat tire has now delayed him, now they are careless
  • working on the side of a busy road
  • jacking on unstable ground
  • jacking on unlevel ground
  • getting under the car while it is jacked to retrieve the spare

So many variables that are not considered, so many opportunities for a mistake.  That's a great jack Greg, it will look good in the trunk of the right car, and look just as good staying there as you call for roadside service.

The biggest concern when changing a driver's side the is on coming traffic.  My dad taught me a trick that will give you plenty of room to work.  It to really pisses off the other drivers but you're much safer.  The first thing you do is take your spare out of the trunk and set it on the white line.  Drivers will go out of their way to miss a tire in the road, but they seem to have fun seeing how close they can get to you.  Lots of horn honking and middle finger greetings but you've got room to work.  When you get the flat off put it where your spare was.  Last thing in the trunk is the tire that was lying in the road.

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 5