1956 radio

tailfins

• 2 weeks later...

I have one around here somewhere.  Last I checked it, it lit up, some of the tubes appeared to be glowing but it wouldn't play.  Would be a good core to have rebuilt.  There's a place in texas that can rebuild stock for about $200 or rebuild and add FM, 4 channel output, and AUX input for about $600 and anything in-between!  I'll dig around and see if I can find it.  If I can find it, you can have it for the cost of shipping.  I can even ship it direct to the rebuilder if you want.

• Like 3

• 1 month later...
On 07/01/2018 at 1:37 PM, Beemon said:

An original radio is only as good as how long the capacitors last. If you're good with a soldering iron, you can repair your original radio for $30 or less unless you have burned out tubes and a bad vibrator. 

Hi Beemon, my radio does not work. I have a soldering iron and I would be interested to know how it can be fixed. Are there instructions or similar you can post?  Thanks

On 19/01/2018 at 6:44 AM, wndsofchng06 said:

I have one around here somewhere.  Last I checked it, it lit up, some of the tubes appeared to be glowing but it wouldn't play.  Would be a good core to have rebuilt.  There's a place in texas that can rebuild stock for about $200 or rebuild and add FM, 4 channel output, and AUX input for about $600 and anything in-between!  I'll dig around and see if I can find it.  If I can find it, you can have it for the cost of shipping.  I can even ship it direct to the rebuilder if you want.

And Wndsofchng06, if my radio will not work then I would also be interested in the contact details of the place in Texas that can rebuild and or improve it?  Thanks

Drew

8 hours ago, 56 Buick said:

Hi Beemon, my radio does not work. I have a soldering iron and I would be interested to know how it can be fixed. Are there instructions or similar you can post?  Thanks

And Wndsofchng06, if my radio will not work then I would also be interested in the contact details of the place in Texas that can rebuild and or improve it?  Thanks

Drew

http://www.southtexasantiqueelectronics.com/contact.html

On 3/1/2018 at 7:06 PM, 56 Buick said:

Hi, sorry for late response. There are no real surefire instructions. First check to make sure all the mechanical stuff works: Check to make sure the needle moves with the adjustment knob and the push buttons work. Then you start to get into the electronics. Give the radio its 12V power supply. You're looking for two things here: make sure the tube heaters light up when the radio is switched on and listen for the vibrator. If the tubes light up, chances are the electrons are still good to flow. If the vibrator works, you're also in good standing - if not, there are conversions available. Next, you want to examine the circuit itself. The first thing that goes on these old radios is the wax capacitors. What I did was rotate them and record all of their values in Farads (usually MicroFarads or uF or MFD) and their Voltage ratings and then procured new ones from an electronics store. Once you have them, cut the old ones out one by one at the base of the capacitor and solder the new ones in place looping them around the old legs. Once all the capacitors are replaced, I then did a test on all the resistors to make sure they hadn't deteriorated with age. If the tubes illuminate, the vibrator vibrates and the caps are replaced and the resistors look good, then power it on and wait for sound. The last thing I examined in my radio is the speaker. If it's deteriorated, it's obviously dead - but if it makes no sound at first, the contact lead may need to be re-soldered. Re-coning kits exist, but are hard to find and finding a replacement speaker that fits is expensive and extremely rare.

Some notes: The electrolytic capacitors can be a challenge to replace and contain on the chassis when replaced, but not impossible. Transformers are also hard to get a hold of but rarely die, or so I've been told. It's also almost impossible to test the tubes aside from looking at the heating element without a proper tube tester. Lastly, the OZ4 "tube" is a rectifier tube to change the circuit from AC voltage to DC voltage. They sometimes are prone to fail but I have a wiring diagram to create one from modern diodes and resistors to simulate the voltage drop across the plate.

It's not impossible, definitely some work. But it's all the same stuff you pay for when someone else diagnoses the radio, minus additional button/face polishing and rechrome services if offered.

• Like 1