1937 Dodge D5 Trim - Termination of

Hello Everyone, 

I'm several months away from any major work on restoring my '37 D5 but have started on locating replacements for those parts missing, one being trim, sometimes trying my hand at recreating parts.

Attached are three images; 1) Region just forward of front door, absent the four inch section of trim, 2) Top side of donor trim, end. 3) Bottom side of donor trim, end. Would anyone happen to know what tooling or method was/is used to terminate the trim?  The trim I have as a donor is about three feet long so some experimentation is possible.  At first glance it appears some sort of "Guillotine" versus a scissor type cutter was used.  I'm thinking that the cut with scissors/shears would be unsymmetric about the center bead.  With any type of cutter I worry about crushing the trim away from the end, perhaps pre-loading it with sand would prevent crushing.  Thank you in advance.  

D5.gif

D5- Donor Trim Top.gif

D5- Donor Trim Bottom.gif

I would first try to see if you could find the correct pieces before trying to make one. By using another piece you'd only have to make one cut and bend the end over. I think it would have to be undercut to allow for the fold and then silver soldered and buffed. Doesn't hurt to try!

1 hour ago, Spinneyhill said:

Donor trim looks flat with a hump in the middle? The original is curved along the sides, raising most of it off the panel, so the cut end is then pressed or rolled to cover the open end after the cut.

Optical illusion. The trim has the same profile as the trim on the car. See 2nd photo to see front side.

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)