Paint touch up

bobg1951chevy

Not a restoration, but a touch up question.

If this should be posted elsewhere, please advise.

I have added this post in the "restoration" section, as well.

My '69 Corvair has a "scrape" on the left quarter panel ...... a small mark,  one quarter inch wide by one half inch long.

I have the correct touch up paint (lacquer) but want to know how to blend in this dab of paint, once applied.

I know zero as to what grit to use to  sand, or blend this dab of added paint into the existing lacquer paint.

Color is DOVER WHITE.

Any steps are appreciated.

Thanks.

Since this is not a metallic paint, clean the area with a surface prep cleaner.  (You can find this with the touch up paint at your local discount auto store.)  Dab the paint into the area in a thin coat.  You do not want to get a run.  Let it dry and dab again (drying in between) until you have completely covered the area.  Let it dry completely.  Sand the area down with 1000 grit wet/dry paper, keeping the area and paper wet.  Compound and buff this out and you should not be able to see it.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, 61polara said:

Since this is not a metallic paint, clean the area with a surface prep cleaner.  (You can find this with the touch up paint at your local discount auto store.)  Dab the paint into the area in a thin coat.  You do not want to get a run.  Let it dry and dab again (drying in between) until you have completely covered the area.  Let it dry completely.  Sand the area down with 1000 grit wet/dry paper, keeping the area and paper wet.  Compound and buff this out and you should not be able to see it.

Thanks Dave, that's the information I need.  Merry Christmas !

61 Polara has it. YOU might be able to see it after it is fixed, since you know it is there. The good result is no one else knows it is there because it is not that noticeable of  repair. I have fixed many a spot like this in my day. Make sure the paint is dry (since it will be thick) before sanding it. Make it a flat repair, so be careful sanding. Yes, the original paint on your car is lacquer.

• Like 1

Merry Christmas Bob,

Considering you mentioned that you were not sure what grit to use and you do have the paint it might just pay to have someone do it that is familiar. I can do almost anything but paint, I just don't have the knowledge and experience, a slight touch up could end up leaving things worse. Something that simple should not cost a lot of money 

• Like 1

Having done this professionally, it takes days to build up the spot level with the surrounding paint. Shrinkage and letting each layer dry completely before adding the next to avoid runs. So, one has to pay for tying up the shop, even though the hours devoted to the actual repair are very small. I agree, if one feels not competent, seek help (professional or fellow car owner who has done it).

My biggest hint is to add a little at a time. Let dry.  Do not add so much it flows outside the divot. You do not want to put any new paint over the existing finish, just fill the hole. So it takes a week or so, you have time. Do not try to sand between coats, since the area is so small. You can always fill the hole then, after asking first for help and guidance in the process,  take it to someone to sand and buff. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, John348 said:

Merry Christmas Bob,

Considering you mentioned that you were not sure what grit to use and you do have the paint it might just pay to have someone do it that is familiar. I can do almost anything but paint, I just don't have the knowledge and experience, a slight touch up could end up leaving things worse. Something that simple should not cost a lot of money 

Merry Christmas John ....... your point is well taken. 

Like you, mechanical is good for me, paint not so much. 

I would just hate to screw up a tiny touch up, then stick on a giant  self stick reflector on the side of the car to cover my mistake.

6 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

Having done this professionally, it takes days to build up the spot level with the surrounding paint. Shrinkage and letting each layer dry completely before adding the next to avoid runs. So, one has to pay for tying up the shop, even though the hours devoted to the actual repair are very small. I agree, if one feels not competent, seek help (professional or fellow car owner who has done it).

My biggest hint is to add a little at a time. Let dry.  Do not add so much it flows outside the divot. You do not want to put any new paint over the existing finish, just fill the hole. So it takes a week or so, you have time. Do not try to sand between coats, since the area is so small. You can always fill the hole then, after asking first for help and guidance in the process,  take it to someone to sand and buff. 

Thanks Frank and Merry Christmas.