Classic car stories - thread

CatBird

Not seeing such a thread, took it upon myself to start one. So let me be the first to throw a frog in the pond and watch the ripples, 

Here is a blurb from a Sothby Auction copy regarding a 1916 Pierce  Arrow 48B bought by a banker

"The Pierce-Arrow Model 48 ranged in price from $5,000 to $6,200, depending on body style and configuration. (Could have bought 12 Model Ts) This particular example is a seven-passenger Touring car that was specially ordered without jump seats by Albert Swabacher. Mr. Swabacher was a banker who spent his free time at a dude ranch he owned in the Teton Mountains. This Pierce Model 48 was kept at this ranch and was used for chauffeured hunting and fishing trips. During its early years, it was converted into a sort of 'motor home' with a bed in the back where Mr. Swabacher would camp out during the hunt."

Consider a guy with serious money and class! I am sure you have more stories to add.
https://www.conceptcarz.com/profile/16895,22462/1916-Pierce-Arrow-Model-48.aspx

Edited by CatBird (see edit history)

Almost bought this 1931 Cadillac Coupe that had the following story,

"Documentation shows that this car was purchased new from Mabbett Motor Company in Rochester, NY by a very prominent priest and educator named John Francis Goggins, who after studying in Rome, earning his doctorate, and being ordained in 1908, was made Dean of Studies at St Bernard's Seminary and became a leading contributor to the Catholic Encyclopedia. He was eventually was named Rector at St Bernard's seminary, named to the Knights of the Holy Sepulchre, and in 1934 was named Monsignor Goggins.

"He drove and loved this car from 1931 until his death in 1966, when the car was sold by his estate to Robert O'Brien, a prominent member of the Rochester Diocese, with 63,000 miles on it. Mr. O'Brien lovingly cared for the car although he drove it just 3,500 miles until it was sold as a part of his estate in 2010.

"The car was quietly purchased by a retired bomber and fighter pilot, and an avid Car collector, in Palm Springs, California...... "

Love the stories about our cars... 

Our 1914 Model T was used to pull a plow when "the mule was ailing....."

Edited by CatBird (see edit history)

Great story about the 1916 Pierce-Arrow. You´d think Sotheby´s would get the spelling right on the Schwabacher family who first owned the car, as old as the auction house is. I know some Schwabachers, and they are interesting all by themselves. There´s a Schwabacher ´s Landing in Grand Teton National Park; and a Schwabacher´s Wharf James Michener mentioned in his novel Alaska where the steamer ¨Excelsior¨ arrived with news of the Klondike Gold Rush.   

I never have ridden in a 1916 Pierce-Arrow, but did spend a whole day in a 1917 during the 2013 Piece-Arrow-Peerless Gathering at Gilmore. It was a Model 48-B, originally George M. Cohan´s, later belonging to the late David Baird, who loved how it could keep ahead of the newer 8-cylinder Pierces going over hill and dale when on that tour in Michigan.

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)

We had a 1959 or 1960 Studebaker Lark wagon when I was around 5 years old in the mid-sixties. Being one of five kids, some of us always road in what we called the "backety-back." No seatbelts here. Anyway, I would love to lay on that floor and listen to the drivetrain rumble along.