1941 Washer knob

Great score! My Limited has washers but it still uses the "Accessory" knob on the left. I just picked up some proper fog lights and I have an NOS factory FOG LITES switch and knob that I was kind of saving for the Century when it's done, but since I drive the Limited every day, I figured maybe I'd use it there instead.

Do you have the rest of the system for the washers? I've never been able to make mine work. Everything is hooked up properly and there's vacuum, but it just kind of wheezes when I press the button.

6 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

Great score! My Limited has washers but it still uses the "Accessory" knob on the left. I just picked up some proper fog lights and I have an NOS factory FOG LITES switch and knob that I was kind of saving for the Century when it's done, but since I drive the Limited every day, I figured maybe I'd use it there instead.

Do you have the rest of the system for the washers? I've never been able to make mine work. Everything is hooked up properly and there's vacuum, but it just kind of wheezes when I press the button.

It sounds like maybe the diaphragm inside the "vacuum chamber" is compromised.  Those things are so simple, there isn't much that can go wrong.  But if the diaphragm isn't making a complete seal, it's not going to work.

On 12/2/2017 at 3:30 PM, Matt Harwood said:

Edited by Guest (see edit history)

This is the Trico type that was typically used in the '40's.  It has a two-compartment vacuum chamber on top.  When you push the button, it introduces intake manifold vacuum into the top chamber, which pulls up the diaphragm and sucks water out of the jar into the lower chamber.  When you release the button, it relaxes the diaphragm and the water is forced out of the lower chamber and out the little nozzles onto the windshield.  There was one on the firewall of my '48 Chrysler when I bought it, but all the rubber hoses were rotted away.  I just replaced the hoses, and it worked great!  

trico.jpg

• Like 2

I pirated the photo from Ebay.  As far as I can recall, the one I had was just a plain Mason-type jar with no logo on it.  If you look on Ebay, you will find a ton of them, I'm sure.  But any jar that fits the screw top would work.

2carb40,

The original washer nozzle does have a slot 90 degrees from what is pictured.  The modern nozzle, if I recall correctly, is for a mid-1960s MG.  I had the chrome plating removed from the modern nozzle and the OD was machined to the have the same diameter as the original nozzle, then re-plated.  A short time after I finished the work on the modern nozzles, I located a second original nozzle for use on my 1941 Buick.

Grandpa