Fuel gauge

kclark

Can a hydrostatic fuel gauge be blocked with something. I was trying to look at fixing mine as it doesn't register anything. It's out of king seeley fluid. I added some to the back but it doesn't register on the front. It just fills up the back brass tube. I only have one filament but it's like there is a blockage to prevent the fluid from getting to the front of the gauge

Of course it can get blocked.  You need to clean it and refill it according to the King Seeley instructions.  Make sure you don't lose the calibrating wire.

54 minutes ago, Tinindian said:

Of course it can get blocked.  You need to clean it and refill it according to the King Seeley instructions.  Make sure you don't lose the calibrating wire.

What can I clean the inside with? I tried to get the glass tube out but no luck so I abandoned that idea as I didn't want to ruin it. I know that when I put fluid in the back brass tube, it doesn't come to the front it just fills up the back. If I blow in either the front or back tube you can't feel it out the other side. I put a small wire to the bottom of the glass tube and you can see and feel some grit. 

UPDATE

The gas gauge is no longer clogged. I put king seeley fluid in it up to the reserve mark. I put the airline back on and took the gas cap off. It equalized out and showing about 13 gallons which is what I put in it the other day. I'm not sure how big my tank is but the gauge says Full is 16 gallons. But it is working again.

• Like 1