Beautiful 1940 51c with a little quirk....

Guest Bodhi

Hi all -

Like some earlier posts I've seen, I'm an extremely lucky beneficiary.  My father had acquired this car back in the late 1980's (great story) and had it shipped to Westlake, OH for a frame-off/ground-up restoration 15 years ago by the acclaimed Doug Seybold.  At the time, over 17,000 parts were disassembled, refurbished, restored, or replaced.  With less than 1500 miles on it now (after 15 years!) the car looks better than the day it rolled off the assembly line and it drives like a dream...  

I'm sharing the picture and story for 2 reasons:

1) As a testament to the high quality work done by Mr. Seybold and his family... and...

2) Before bothering Mr. Seybold with what may seem like an easy question, I thought I'd extend my network of Buick aficionados by posting this question and maybe getting some ideas.

As I mentioned, the car runs beautifully... Yes, if it sits for a few weeks/months, it takes it's time starting - but once running and warm she purrs.   But what I've noticed recently is that after driving it for some time (allowing it to get to "full temperature") and turning the car off - it's extremely difficult to restart until it cools off a bit.  The crank is extremely slow/labored (almost as if the battery is dead) - but once it cools, it starts right up...  So needless to say, going to car shows and parking it is less stressful than going to a gas pump....

Now I'm no 'Carol Shelby' but I know some car basics... The battery is less than 2 years old.  I have a tester and it seems to be in fine shape...  I've removed both battery cables and have cleaned both battery posts as well as the cable clamps.  I've also check all of the electrical wiring for loose fittings and have found nothing out of the ordinary.  Since the battery doesn't seem to be getting drawn down, I'm assuming the rest of the electrical system is functioning properly.

So the question is, "Any ideas what could be leading to this slow / labored crank when hot?"  

Much appreciate any thoughts or ideas...

Regards,
Dave

Buick.jpg

Edited by Bodhi (see edit history)

Welcome to the Forum Bodhi, and beautiful Buick.  Hard starting like you mention could be a few different things.  First thing I think of is a dirty terminal on the starter itself.  2nd thing is a loose or dirty  ground cable connection at the motor.  This includes not only the battery cable but the one or two engine to body ground straps which are usually at the back end of the motor.  If these things are all clear I wold just verify that both battery cables are the thick 00 guage units that a six volt system requires.   And if all that checks out then I'd be tempted to replace the solenoid on the starter, assuming your vehicle has one.

Good luck.  Hope you get many trouble free miles

14 hours ago, JohnD1956 said:

Welcome to the Forum Bodhi, and beautiful Buick.  Hard starting like you mention could be a few different things.  First thing I think of is a dirty terminal on the starter itself.  2nd thing is a loose or dirty  ground cable connection at the motor.  This includes not only the battery cable but the one or two engine to body ground straps which are usually at the back end of the motor.  If these things are all clear I wold just verify that both battery cables are the thick 00 guage units that a six volt system requires.   And if all that checks out then I'd be tempted to replace the solenoid on the starter, assuming your vehicle has one.

Good luck.  Hope you get many trouble free miles

Good advice.  Also charge the battery for 24 hours.  6v batteries will not reach a full charge after just a few hours like 12v.  Or try a known good battery.