Color versus Black and White

Mark Huston

Yesterday, I took a drive with my 1929 Studebaker President and my friend drove his 1929 Studebaker Dictator cabriolet.  I took these pictures in Isleton, California which is located on the Sacramento River.   It is amazing how much better my car looks in black and white pictures.  Which makes me wonder about the real condition of cars in vintage black and white pictures.   

IMG_2148.JPG

IMG_2150.JPG

• Like 1

There is a vast difference between digitally converting a color digital photo and a photo shot with B&W film.  Notice how the sky turned black in your B&W photo and the red and green on you car would show as different colors of grey.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 61polara said:

There is a vast difference between digitally converting a color digital photo and a photo shot with B&W film.  Notice how the sky turned black in your B&W photo and the red and green on you car would show as different colors of grey.

I took both pictures with the same digital camera switching between color and black and white settings.   I guess modern digital cameras are not as smart as the old film style cameras.  

Hi Mark. So sorry to see the horror of the fires not too far from you. Yes , as an impartial observer , in this case I definitely prefer the B&W. I turned a pic of mine to B&W , but prefer the color in my case. Certainly an element of applesauce and orange juice , though.   - Carl 

image.jpeg

image.jpeg