Olds Nationals pics. in less than 30 days. How?

Guest scott mich bca # 6619

I hope I am not offending anybody here, but here it goes:

I went to the Olds Nationals in Lansing, MI. Aug 1-4 this month.

It was billed as Historic Cars of Lansing. It was a very nice National.

There were over 1100 cars, and 1000 guests at the banquet.

Much help from Olds Div. and GM.

Very similar to the BCA Nationals.

Here's the question:

I recieved my Journey with Olds (Sept Issue) yesterday. That is

the same as our Bugle.

Full coverage of the National, including color photos of the cars.

Our National was last month. Still no coverage.

Why do we have to wait so long for the coverage?

Scott Mich BCA # 6619 OCA # 3947

Guest my3buicks

[color:\\"blue\\"] Scott, the 3 month turn-around time for Bugle issues has been a long time problem with that publication. It really is poor when you want to sell something and have to wait 3 months for it to make it in. This has been an issue in the past, but there has never been any truly good reasons for this. Excuses yes, solid truly legitimate reasons, no. Especially when most if not all the other club publications have a much quicker turnaround time. I would assume this is an issue that could be changed if the wheel squeeks enough. SSSQQQQQQQQUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEKKKKKKKKKKKK!!!!!!!!! crazy.gif

Who is their publisher and can we get them to bid on the Bugle? With some of the lead times for the Bugle you would think that Baker press was just doing us a favor by publishing it for us. It appears to me the Bugle is just a sideline for them. That is why the long lead time for ads, just fill in around the Bow Tie work. Cadillac just celebrated their 100th celebration also. I wonder how long it will take them to have pictures and stories in the Self Starter?

Larry

As I recall, with all due respect, that our BCA Nationals has been in the issue of The Bugle that comes out a few months after the meet--even with the previous vendors. From the signals I saw at the Board meeting in Kokomo, that is still the way it's planned and was executed (as in the past).

It can also depend on the mathod of publication they use. Typically, a 90 day delay is the norm. Look at your mainstream car magazines and see how soon they get their coverages of events in print. If they use color separations and other procedures as part of their pre-print preparations, there is a certain amount of time that it takes for those things to happen. In that situation, each print color is separated from the others and a plate is made of that color--which means a multi-pass printing process for each page of the publication that has color on it. Similar in concept to the way an ink jet printer makes more than one pass with each color in the color print cartridge before it moves on to the next line it prints color on.

I concur that with a completely digital medias, things might operate quicker with similar time frames as a large newspaper might have. BUT it takes more than a 2 megapixel camera to get the same detail as a similar film camera, for example.

My gut suspicion is that if it was put in the next bid specs for the national meet coverage to be in the August issue of The Bugle, appropriate plans could be made in that direction as Baker Press appears to have much better capabilities than the previous vendor had and probably should or could have similar capabilities as the publisher of the OCA magazine.

It is not my intention to justify how or what Baker does, but to mention some side issues in getting a color print publication from pre-production into our hands. I do not know if other national car club magazine publishers were approached in the previous bid processes and invited to submit a bid to do The Bugle. I seem to recall that the current bid specs were based on what some other national car clubs had in their respective publications, though.

I concur that it would be interesting to see just how the Journey With Olds publisher does things and at what cost, but whether or not they would be interested in submitting a bid is their decision, especially if they don't have the capacity to add our publication to their schedule.

This year, I got the pictures I shot at the national developed soon after I got home. Is it preferable to rush the picture coverage of the national event into print or have it happen a few months afterward so that the excitement level is extended into other parts of the year rather than being concentrated in just a month or two time frame? There could be justifications in each scenario.

Did you also go to the myriad of Cadillac events in Detroit also, Scott? I understand from some friends (that made both events this year) that it was a fabulous event also.

Just some thoughts . . .

Enjoy!

NTX5467

In 1999, after the Columbus National, the former Bugle Editor decided that the National coverage would not be printed until November. There were many complaints in the Club and the next two years, 2000 and 2001, we had Baker print the National coverage in the October issue. During that time, the delay had nothing to do with pictures but rather having Rick Schick, our Chief Judge, check and re-check to make sure the members got the proper credit and the right awards. In this instance, we believed quality was better than speed.

Jeff Brashares

don't feel to bad about it. i moved to a new house and for me to get the august issue, because i moved, i have to pay an extra $2.50 to get it, above and beyond my subscription cost. now its sept 4 and no sept issue. i guess when you move, you lose your subscription. can somebody tell me how this is appropiate???

gsjohnny,

Have you notified the BCA of your change of address? If you are relying on the Post Office to forward your Bugles, they may not. Most of us do not pay the extra amount to receive our Bugles via First Class mail, and forwarding magazines mailed with a different class of postage can be a problem.

Also, if you read one of the other threads in this Forum, you will see that the September Bugle was delayed in order to provide updated information concerning Greg Field, BCA #1. The Bugles have just been mailed, so it is unlikely that you would have received one by now.

GS Johnny,

You need to tell us all the circumstances surrounding the missing August issue.

I do believe that in the Bugle it states to address changes take 60-90 days to take effect.

Even if you did not notify them in time, the Post Office should forward your old mail, however this can further delay it as well.

Unless your subscription is mailed "first class" further delays can be expected.

I did receive my September Bugle yesterday, Weds. 9/5, as I have mine

set up as "first class"

Scott Mich BCA # 6619

Hi Jeff,

Thanks for taking the time to give us your opinion. I also would like to personaly

thank you for all you have done for the BCA during you term as President.

On the National coverage... yes I do agree that the quality and accuracy

are important.

I do believe that if what is delaying the coverage is Rick's reports,

then it is truly apparent Rick needs more help. Perhaps the award coverage

(be delayed) and have it follow earlier event coverage.

You have to agree that 120 days after the event is excessive.

Scott Mich BCA # 6619, OCA # 3947

The National was over on July 14, and I brought the Judging Sheets back with me. I sent a copy to Rick and the original copy to the National Office for safe keeping. Rick, who like the rest of us, has a real job, personnaly reviews each judging sheet for one last accuracy check. Also during this period of time, we have a few (I know of two),complaints about how their car was judged, so he has those to handle. To get the October issue to each member early in the month, Rick has to have this information to Baker by the first of September. That gives him approximate 5 1/2 weeks to review the 300 cars, make any follow up phone calls, and handle complaints so that those winners can be accurately listed in the Bugle. It IS a daunting task for one person. Rick and Mac have done a great job keeping this all straight since 1989!

Thanks for the compliment. The BCA is a terrific organization!

JB

I might add a few comments to what Jeff has just said.

There is no "one way" to run a car club organization and its magazine. We put great weight on having our national meet judging validated before that awards list goes to press for all to see. Therefore, such validation is deemed a necessary part just as checking a sales order prior to shipment is expected to happen. If any mistakes are made, it's harder to fix them after the fact than before. Manually validating the results, as Rick does, plus addressing complaints in the process (after the fact), can take quite some time to complete. His work is appreciated in that respect, as was Mac's previously!

In recent times, I perceive that the BCA National Meet judging has been very accomodating in trying to address isues relating to how the vehicles were judged at a particular national meet. Nothing wrong with that--if a valid mistake was made, then it was addressed. Yet that whole Owner's Recourse thing had gotten so burdensome for several reasons that it was not really serving the purpose it was designed to serve. When things get to that point, changes need to be made and they were.

I like the concept of owner's recourse, personally, but as it was it just was not working. At some point in the future, it might return in a more modified form but I am not expecting that to happen anytime soon.

Not to imply that what the OCA does or how they do things is inaccurate or substandard in the least! If, perhaps, they have some orientations and procedures that are better than ours, we could investigate to see how it all happens as part of a continuous improvement feedback loop. There can be many side issues involved here which can also relate to the turnaround time of presenting those results to the magazine for publication and then the magazine getting them in print and distributed.

I do know from our experiences with the local OCA chapter, that they typically go in their own direction on many things. Nothing wrong with that, even if it deviates from the best direction that our local BCA chapter has repeatedly determined to be the best for our purposes.

Just some thoughts . . .

NTX5467

OCA National judging day is Friday. Results are typically tallied and audited by noon Saturday, results posted late that afternoon and place awards given to owners at that time. Best of Class awards (highest scoring 1st place car in class) are announced at the awards banquet Saturday night.

Challenges are handled and resolved by the Head Judge and meet Show Chairman before the end of the meet if possible. If not, as soon afterward as possible.

I enjoyed the JWO photo coverage. If I just hadn't had to read about that life membership... lost a lot of respect for the OCA Board for that. Defines the difference between "class" and "crass". Steve DeNovi served 18 yrs as OCA President and paid his own way everywhere, even when a comp room or membership was offered.

Thanks for that additional information. BCA judging day is on Saturday, which makes it a very busy day to get the cars judged, results tabulated, trophies built, get ready for the awards banquet, etc. Having the judging on Friday and awards on Saturday could be a good option for the BCA to consider in the future as it might make things a little less stressful on those who are making things happen.

Enjoy!

NTX5467