Pretty rough car for 2-3 years old

auburnseeker

I'd bet he was having some sort of shifting problem that explains the missing bumper and trans cover. I owned an 812. You can manually select gears from the front of the car with the cover off. To get the cover off, one has to at least drop one end of the bumper down. Depending on the specific problem. one might have to manually select 2nd or third, then start the car, and ride the clutch to get going - maybe the problem was only with certain forward shifts or perhaps only with reverse - who knows. Just saying it would explain driving the car with those parts missing. You're right though, she wasn't taken care of for sure.

That's what I was thinking but I couldn't find a photo on the net to confirm it. 

Honestly it clutters up the front of the car as do the accessory wing badges that go on the front.  It looks so much better smooth and uncluttered.   Kind of like painting one a really flashy color especially one that was never offered. 

36 minutes ago, Xander Wildeisen said:

Did not know that, I am with auburnseeker. It look better with out anything there.

I like them with out clutter as well. I even prefer them with out the super-charger pipes. That was the way Mr. Buehrig designed it. Alex Tremulis of Tucker fame added the super-charger pipes for the 1937 model year. Mr. Cord just about fired him for doing so. But when the public fell in love with the pipes all was forgiven. Attached is my phaeton in front of Mr. Cord's home in Auburn.

37cord39.JPG

• Like 1

36-37 Cords are stunning cars. I do like the looks of them with the pipes. When you look at the custom/street rod side of the world, trends are to clean up the car and smooth out odd shapes and body lines. Some of the Duesenbergs and Cords came that way from the factory. From a custom stand point you would not change a thing on the 36-37 Cords. Work of art from the beginning. Still on my wish list.

Forest Grove 126.JPG

Forest Grove 127.JPG

• Like 1

That one would have fit the bill quite nicely,  though it wouldn't have to be quite as pristine.  I want to use it a bit.  The post office Hardware store etc.   I find if I don't use my old cars for errands,  I never have time to specifically just take them out for a ride. 

So what did that little gem go for?  I'm guessing 100-120K.  

Found a similar one with chrome wires in what looks like a very similar if not the same color scheme for sale in Hemmings a year or two ago for 98K  I think it was. 

The Auburn sedan was not a fresh car. I think it sold for 72K-74K. It was an older restoration. I think someone repainted the fenders black before the auction. Solid car, needed to be repainted. Yes I did get the boattail body from Samson. He had it on ebay a few times. He was listing it for sale from some guy named Frank if I remember. Had to have a state inspector come out and put a state ID tag on it for a title. So it was titled as a 31 Auburn reproduction. I bought it because we had the 31 Auburn Cab that needed to be restored. It was a finished value decision. A boattail, even if a repro steel body. Has a higher finished value over a Cab. Then sold off what was left over and the V-12 engines that I had. To a guy who had Auburns that he was restoring. I would have sold out of the Auburn cab, if I had won the convertible sedan. Same thing on the 35 Auburn for sale now on the forum. I always have to sell a car or two if something cool comes along. I am sure we all do the same thing. Fix one up a little, drive it awhile, hope that you do not lose money. And buy a new one that keeps your car fix going. I should have gotten into fly fishing instead. 

• Like 1