Brake line

jonlabree

I cannot tell you off hand the size of the lines but if you are planning on replacing the lines with bulk line and make your own bends then I would simply cut off a portion of the line and take it to the auto parts store. Cut off the line less than an inch from the fittings and then you can use a socket to remove the fitting and not have to worry about the tubing wrench slipping. After removing the fitting, clean them up a little and reuse them. 

Over the years I have noticed that some of the fitting are not a size readily available at auto parts stores so I reuse mine and with a double flaring tool you can redo the whole car pretty cheaply.

If you want I can send you some pieces of line so you will have them ahead of time and also i apologize for forgetting to get back to  you about the fenders. Will do so later today.

Jim

43 minutes ago, harry yarnell said:

What's so difficult about making bubble flares? Besides, you make the flare in one operation instead of two.

I don't believe you can use a double flare in lieu of a bubble.

I don't know if that is directed at my post but I 100% agree. Perhaps I should have capitalized "VS" in the statement "Way easier to make VS a double flare".

The bubble flare is very easy and can even be done in place under the car, which I have done. Yes, the fittings are not interchangeable, although the brake line diameter is standard 3/16".

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, 63viking said:

Thanks for all of the video's they really do help

Then click the "THANKS" button. Every click goes towards the Members' point score rating. (Maybe you didn't know that?)

53 minutes ago, 63viking said:

Do you know if you can replace the line that goes over the gas tank can be replace without dropping the tank?

You can route the line wherever you wish. NiCop will never rust, and the armor in the kit is used for where it could get damaged from road debris or vibration. Run the armored line along the rear cradle, attach it with  THESE  and/or THESE (using THESE).

Take a look at the Factory line; the BS steel armor actually speeds up corrosion, by trapping it against the line!

The stainless steel armored line would look superb, contrasted against a gloss black or silver undercarriage.

Running an unprotected steel brake line above the fuel tank- is about as stupid, cheap, and lazy- as not having an access plate for the fuel pump.

• Like 1

I know on my '89 that I replaced all of the rear lines with the fuel tank in place, with one caveat. I removed all of the rusting line from the calipers forward to about the drivers seat area. I did the steel fuel lines at that time as well. In any case, I relocated the rear proportioning valve to a more accessible location near the front center of the rear suspension cross member. The connections were the same as stock, just in an easier location to plumb.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, 2seater said:

the fittings are not interchangeable, although the brake line diameter is standard 3/16".

Then you could buy THESE.

The drawback with them is later removal- dissimilar metal corrosion (ss/cast iron caliper).

If you do end up needing "bubble flares" then get THIS KIT and the seperate ARMOR (You must have to protect)

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 4:10 PM, 89RedDarkGrey said:

Then click the "THANKS" button. Every click goes towards the Members' point score rating. (Maybe you didn't know that?)

You can route the line wherever you wish. NiCop will never rust, and the armor in the kit is used for where it could get damaged from road debris or vibration. Run the armored line along the rear cradle, attach it with  THESE  and/or THESE (using THESE).

Take a look at the Factory line; the BS steel armor actually speeds up corrosion, by trapping it against the line!

The stainless steel armored line would look superb, contrasted against a gloss black or silver undercarriage.

Running an unprotected steel brake line above the fuel tank- is about as stupid, cheap, and lazy- as not having an access plate for the fuel pump.

I believe the only vehicle I have that had an "access plate"for the intank fuel pump was an AUSTRALIAN FORD manufactured 1994 CAPRI that was imported under the MERCURY badge.  I agree its sooooo stupid that it isn't offered more widely. 

Edited by ptt
liked it........ (see edit history)
  • Like 2

In 2006- my '88 Nissan Pulsar NX was easy- to access. Two 10mm bolts for bottom of rear seat, remove plastic deck, four screws for access plate, six for pump unit, 2 lines, 1 plug. It would have been a 20 minute job.

All 6 pump bolts snapped. Both metal lines rotted. The pressure line had also cracked at the top of the unit, and it was a 1-piece molded design. No separate pump like ours- entire unit was $300. Had to siphon 1/2 tank gas out, wipe dry, HOT water-soapy rag, rinse, wipe dry. Large rag in tank, drill out bolts. Waited 8 days for ordered pump, had to walk 3 miles to & from work, for 4 of those days. Installed no problem.

1 year later- an escaped 91 year old Nursing Home patient totaled it while it was still in my own driveway.

Video of me installing a clutch in this car in 2005 is on my YouTube channel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qs5j0zyAo5c

That was a good little money pit :lol: