there has to be a better way

Booreatta

The struts are actually pretty easy to change. 

I use two screwdrivers. One medium and one small. I take the small screw driver and work one of the sides of the spring steel clip over the stud end and then holding the strut towards the engine compartment, use the larger screw driver behind the strut and with a little pressure and a wiggle the strut will pop right off the cone shaped stud.

• Like 1

Jim, what you trying to do?

Make Chuck look mechanically deficient?

I had a Reatta owner from the Denver area call me several times over a span of weeks about hood struts,

He had a Buick dealer install them.  The hood would stay up after the install but he had difficulty shutting the hood fully.

I ask for pictures, but all I got were questions, he purchase more from auto parts stores and online and they all had the same problem.

The last time he called he said the problem was fixed....the brackets on the hood were installed upside down and that was the problem from the time the Buick garage installed them.

PS, I told him to check those brackets during the first phone call.

I'm thinking of quitting the job of technical advisor, I obviously am not doing it right.

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)

I have changed several of these struts and I always think that there has to be easier than the 2 screw driver method. If I was making them I can think of a better design. It seems the older I get the harder simple tasks seem to be. I changed the clutch on my sons AC compressor and it took 4 hours.  I cant believe that I can only work for about 10 min between beers but when the job is finally done it sure feels good. 

Thanks for all the advise.

Barney keep your job as a tech advisor, some people just don't listen. It would be easy to put the darn struts upside down I have seen that several times also. I have also seen people put the top bracket back on wrong if they took it off when changing struts. 

Barney are you staying dry? Hard times in Texas