WTB Chrome Acorn Tips for Roadster Wood Bows

Looking for chrome (or stainless or plain steel) tips for wood bows I'm making for a '31 Chrysler CD8 Roadster top. A colleague was kind enough to send me these photos from top on his very fine car. They would measure about 7/8"-1" wide (chrome side iron is 1" wide), about 5/8"-3/4" deep, and 1.75" long, with taper to point as shown. Any reasonably close equivalent would do as I can taper bows to suit. Mind you if anyone has a rough original Chrysler CD8 set, let me know. Not sure how many were used originally, perhaps only the 2 shown, although i would likely use a second pair on the folded front bow shown in picture.

topbows1.jpg

topbows2.jpg

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

Thanks, I figure likely only on rear bow as in photo since that is only bow regularly exposed to sun and rain. They appear to be a 4 sided affair fully enclosing the bow end rather than just a surface decoration. Would help prevent exposed end of bow from splitting.

Those caps do not fully enclose the bow end. They are purely decorative. Unfortunately I no longer own the car, but from memory they were made of thin brass sheet about 0.6mm thick, they take the shape of the bow end and are curled in very slightly under the bow and also at the flat end away from the point. The turnover is minimal, maybe 1/16th of an inch. If you can get some thin copper sheet it may not be too hard to work the copper around the end of your bow and then have them nickel or chrome plated. We used to work copper sheet as kids just using spoons and knitting needles.

Also, I came across www,AntiqueAutoTopHardware.com on the web last year, tel number 503-824-5558. They make a lot of top parts and accessories and say if its not shown in their catalogue to contact them to see if they have a source, otherwise they might make them. Its worth a call.

Viv.